Pistol Smith Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused: Ok, I don't know which version of sights these are (P220 Elite Dark), but they are adjustable night sights. The rear is elevation adjustable with an allen wrench on the right side of the sight. When turned the sight "clicks" to predetermined positions. Now for the confusing part (me anyway). The rear
also has two very tiny set screws in the dovetail. That is to say in the rear of the sight base. A very tiny allen wrench came with the gun and I can only assume that one is to loosen these set screws and then slide the sight in the dovetail and then tighten the screws. Can anyone confirm this?

One came loose with quite a bit of effort. The wrench immediately spun in the hex on the second as if the original installer had over tightened it, so I just retightened the first and left it as is, hitting left of center. (a condition I cannot abide)

Does anyone know whether or not the screws were meant to be loosened before moving the sight or is the sight meant to be "drifted" with the screws tight? The manual only refers to standard dovetail sights, not adjustable ones.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Logically by your description, the only purpose those screws might serve is to anchor the rear sight to prevent unwanted lateral movement. It sounds like your assessment of the overtightened screw is on the money. IMHO, it'll probably need to be drilled out and retapped for a larger set screw ( IF there's enough meat ), BUT I am NOT a gunsmith. There are many on the Forum with MUCH greater expertise, that will be along to advise you. You may want to try removing the screw that works, and soaking the assembly in Kroil overnight. Then you can try to drift the sight where it needs to be, and re-install the good screw. I've seen Kroil do some amazing things.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I "peened" the top of the offending screw with a 1/16" pin punch and a 5oz hammer. Screw backed out fairly easily and appears to be reusable.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
EXCELLENT, BRshooter ! !

·
Registered
26 Posts
urrgh. the set-screw in the dovetail base is there to help lock it in place. along with a generous helping of loc-tite. yes, the screw was probably overtightened....
the screws are meant to be backed out first, yes. a drop or two of acetone in the hole will loosen the loc-tite if necessary. as a side note, drive the sight very gently , and if possible with a wood dowel against the base. those sights are surprisingly fragile...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts