Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
939 Posts
I carry plain ol' Winchester white box, 124gr jacketed soft point, in my Burns' 9x23. Can be found for less than $10 a box of 50.

When I reload the brass, will probably work up one of Dane's preferred loads. Be nice to have a heavier bullet, but seriously, this 124gr stuff kicks some serious ass on what I have shot with it [animals only, sorry].

Hobbes, I can't help you on the .45 vs. 9x23 debate much. Burns built me 2 1911's one for each of those calibers, and both work flawlessly. I am perfectly content, whichever one is on my hip. My impression is the 9x23 will get more rounds into a smaller target quicker, but that only becomes important when drinking beer and arguing ballistics. I have seen too many statistics proven worthless in this life to place much heed in them, generally. If a one shot stop was absolutely positively needed, I would be sweating my ass off humping my Barrett around with me. In my opinion, getting into the "one-shot stop" mentality is no good, whether you are a hunter or a gun-fighter. I train with a guy who has the power in either hand to put folks on queer street with one punch. What makes him soooo effective though is that he takes what you give him and doesn't go looking for *the* punch.

My advice is simple, and I repeat it to anyone who will listen: Call Dane and buy a 1911 in 9x23. Ammo is cheap, plentiful, and white hot. Name me another round that scores that trifecta :grin:

Good luck with your choice, it is a win-win :smile:

· Registered
939 Posts
Neal:

I paid $9.85 plus shipping from Jerry's, not sure if there was a quantity discount on it or not, but bought several thou.

If you shoot 10mm, Zanders has Remington 180gr for $8.99 for 50, which basically means you are buying the brass.

Btw, Neal, the IDPA match is this sunday. I will try to email you the url for their site.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.