Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on getting an air compressor soon to help me with my gun cleaning.
I was looking through Sears and the Harbor Freigh online catalogs, and there are quite a few to choose from. I'm sure I don't need those huge compressors for those big powertools.
Any suggestions as to what model would be good? Or how many psi I would need?
I don't mind something that is a little more powerful, so that way, I can also use it to inflate my car tires. I just don't want one that is so powerful that I can risk damage or harm to my guns or myself. And I'd prefer to get one for under $100 if possible.
Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Ken:

WalMart or Home Depot usually have good selection of Campbell Hausfield air compressors for $100-200 range. There's a regulator on the compressor so you can adjust the pressure you need. Typical nozzle for cleaning parts can be had for under $10. HTH.

TC

G

·
I use a Campbell Hausefield 30 gallon 10 hp model from Lowes, I also purchased thier 60 piece accessory kit that includes the three air nozzles.

·
Registered
272 Posts
How about a can of air. Like the ones used to clean computer keyboards and such.

If you are just doing your own guns then a few cans would last for a long time. Saving money for ammo.

Then again, you wouldn't have a new compressor to play with...or a reason to hang out at HD.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm cheap, so I tried the budget route... I bought a compressed air tank, hose, and nozzles (Coleman brand?) for about $60. I can fill it to about 120psi at the gas station, and it lasts a reasonable, but not great, amount of time. The problem: It takes FOREVER to fill it that way, and I don't know anyone with a compressor. So, I am back to the idea of buying a small compressor too (I have all the accessories now).

The small cans of air are ok for cameras and electronics, but they don't have a very powerful blast, and at $6 each, aren't very economical, imo. I'll use the compressor for many things besides guns, incl cleaning the nooks and crannies of the workshop, workbench and garage, running spray guns and light air tools. $.02

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.