Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for Lou.

I've got one of your ankle holsters for a Colt Mustang. When I went looking for an ankle holster, Steve Silverman of Firearms Research & Instruction told me in no uncertain terms that I had to have the Alessi. He was right. It's a beautiful piece of work. Some of the most detailed hand boning I've ever seen.

However, Steve also recommended that I remove the thumb snaps. He was right about that, too. The holster is plenty tight -- even when running without the snaps snapped the gun didn't budge in the holster. So I took a handy-dandy Exacto knife and removed them.

The question, then, is why do you include thumbsnaps? And are they optional (i.e. was I too dumb to just order the holster without them :smile:)?

Chad

·
Registered
849 Posts
Chad, Yes the pull through snaps are an option. Most people elect to go with the open top style. The gun will NOT fall out.
I'm glad you like the holster. Did the operation with the exacto knife turn out OK? If you want to send it back for me to clean it up, and refinish the edge, feel free to do so..
Thanks for the patronage.
Lou

·
Registered
140 Posts
I was not a fan of ankle holsters, until I purchased the Alessi variant. I use it off duty to carry a second gun. Namely, a S&W Model 342PD, which is barely noticeable. I look forward to trying some of Mr. Alessi's belt rigs for my HK USP45.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have used an Alessi ankle holster EVERYDAY for over 20 years. I got a new one about 5 years ago because the old one was looking weathered! I carry a 642 now, but have used it for a model 60, 649 and 638. I only recommend Alessi's ankle holster....nothing else is even close! Thanks Lou!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chad, Yes the pull through snaps are an option. Most people elect to go with the open top style. The gun will NOT fall out.
I'm glad you like the holster. Did the operation with the exacto knife turn out OK? If you want to send it back for me to clean it up, and refinish the edge, feel free to do so..
Thanks for the patronage.
Lou
Lou, thanks for the very kind offer. I may take you up on that.

Another question: Where should the holster ride on the ankle? How high up and where on the calf? When I put the holster where I think it should go -- about halfway up the calf and right alongside the inside of the calf muscle -- the buckle that the velcro loops through hits me right on the shin bone. I think I may have it too high (the flexing of the calf muscle while walking works the velcro) and too far aft. This is my first ankle holster, so I'm kind of in the dark.

Chad

·
Registered
30 Posts
Chad I have an Alessi ankle holster for a colt pony and you have to wear it low and cover the holster with your sock, dont cover the grip , It fits the contour of my ankle and it does not rock or move, adjust it so it is confortable and not too tight. I am new to this type of carry also.
Great holster Lou :smile:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.