Pistol Smith Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
On 2001-03-29 20:26, Desert Dog wrote:
Well since Luigi can't find any elephant ball sac or ostrich vulva, he decided to play with rayskin and sharkskin instead. :grin:

DD
LOL DD :grin:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: shane45-1911 on 2001-03-29 21:13 ]</font>

·
Registered
403 Posts
Well I got a Cape Buffalo ball sack. Was not at all easy to get. Am going to use it for a recoil pad on one of my shotguns. But now that I'm thinking about it, there's probably way enough for a holster.

Decisions, decisions!

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Peter,

I would save the Cape Buffalo ball sack for use as a water vessel. Very adaptable material. :grin:

BTW, this is an inside joke, stemming from this thread over on GunSpot. That thread was inturn a continuation of another thread originating here.

DD

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Desert Dog on 2001-03-29 22:36 ]</font>

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
That smell is "yaquitosis" from The Doc that used to take care of the Yaquis' feet...Think his name was Scholls :razz:

·
Registered
849 Posts
Working on some of those exotics is an assault on the sense of smell. When grinding, or sanding Shark, or Ray skins, they smell like dead fish (who would have thought). But to the unknowing, one would think they were in a house of ill repute! My secretary, Mary Lou told me today that the next time I was going to be working on anything that smells like that to let her go home. Lest anyone think that the odor was coming from her!
Lou

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Louis F. Alessi on 2001-03-30 00:47 ]</font>

·
Registered
163 Posts
Luigi...you owe me a new monitor, bud!!! For some strange reason, coffee and electronics don't go together well....

LMAO!!!!!

·
Registered
849 Posts
Well, Dane said he wanted moderators with a sense of humor! Actually that was true. That stuff really smells like rotten Tuna. I meant
the Shark, and Ray skin, not Mary Lou..
Luigi

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sure Luigi... you just PRAY Mary Lou doesn't read that comment!! :wink:

A knife making friend has a similar disdain for making desert ironwood scales, as it smells like crap -- literally! :grin:

DD

·
Registered
934 Posts
You must have a really understanding secretary.

·
Registered
269 Posts
On 2001-03-30 08:20, Louis F. Alessi wrote:
Well, Dane said he wanted moderators with a sense of humor! Actually that was true. That stuff really smells like rotten Tuna. I meant
the Shark, and Ray skin, not Mary Lou..
Luigi
Bwahahahahaha...
Man, this is gonna be a great board :smile:

Lou, can you utilize Alligator hide for a holster or trim on a holster? Living here in FL I have access to it fairly easy(I know a state liscensed trapper or two). Would an ACP wrapped in gator or with Gator trim be possible if I supplied the proper amount of hide?

Thanks.
Eugene

·
Registered
269 Posts
On 2001-03-30 23:24, Desert Dog wrote:
Eugene,

If you ask real nice Luigi can make you a nice pair of loafers to match as well! Acording to Lou's father, he is a very skilled shoemaker. :grin:

DD
Hmmm, penny loafers to match my holster...interesting :grin: hehehheh

·
Registered
849 Posts
Eugene, Are those hides tanned? If so, I'd like to see a small piece if you can send it.
Desert Dog is refering to a quote I made a long time ago, where my father once told me:
I paid for you to go to college, and you become a glorified shoemaker!
Lou

·
Registered
269 Posts
On 2001-03-31 18:33, Louis F. Alessi wrote:
Eugene, Are those hides tanned? If so, I'd like to see a small piece if you can send it.
Desert Dog is refering to a quote I made a long time ago, where my father once told me:
I paid for you to go to college, and you become a glorified shoemaker!
Lou
Lou, I'm not sure whether I can get them "fresh" or Tanned so I'll ask about them next time I talk to the trapper and see about getting a sample to you. He asked me whether I wanted brown or green or whatnot so I think I can get them either way. He makes his living off of selling the skins to people who make various things out of them or use them in taxidermy so he may be able to provide both. Which do you prefer? as I can ask about getting some of each.

as for the shoemaker comment, all I can say is: Them's some mighty fine shoes in a size 1911 !! :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Eugene_G. on 2001-03-31 19:07 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Eugene_G. on 2001-03-31 19:09 ]</font>

·
Registered
849 Posts
Eugene, If you can get tanned hides in brown, that would be great. Let me know what you come up with, prices, etc.
You might just wind up with the first prototype I make..:grin:
Lou

·
Registered
269 Posts
On 2001-04-01 09:42, Louis F. Alessi wrote:
Eugene, If you can get tanned hides in brown, that would be great. Let me know what you come up with, prices, etc.
You might just wind up with the first prototype I make..:grin:
Lou
WOW!!! :grin: :grin: that would be most excellent. I'll get right on it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts