Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I now have GWHs with cordovan bodies and 1.5" black loops in stock and single mag pouches in black or brown!

Hurry if you want one :grin:

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Hiya Dane!
How much do each run? Where do I send the
money order to?

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can order them any way you like, Tim:)

I have several coming for folks who did just that and shipped a couple yesterday in like fashion.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For a couple of years Mark Morris, of Morris Custom Pistols, worked for me. I was a bondsman at the time and had know Morris for years, including a few years earlier when I was building 1911s full time.

Morris was paid help, as my physical backup doing arrests of bail bond clients. During one very productive day Morris started calling me the "Great White Hunter". As in African big game hunting.

After all it was great sport.

I had already designed the basic GWH holster. Morris and I were both using the rigs I had built for us and had given to Morris. (Ever wonder where the idea of the ARG dbl came from? Now you know. )

Lou Alessi knows the entire history of that story and thought the name GWH was a casual way of making an underlying comment on a couple of points.

I just liked the name GWH as a joke about my past and how the design came about :grin:

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got more SHARK than the Great Barrier Reef :grin:

I have GWHs, and ACPs trimmed in shark and ACPs and belts in full shark.....in fact I got the sh.... well not quite, but I do have some fancy holsters and more ray coming too.

I should never have allowed that Heinie guy a piece of ray from my world monopoly for his damn DOJ!

·
Registered
239 Posts
I just wanted to add that I've been using a GWH and ACP for several months, and have been very pleased with both of them. I carry a 5" 1911 twelve or more hours a day, 7 days a week, and find the rigs to be among the most comfortable, concealable, and easiest to access of any I've used. The ACP and GWH have very similar ride height/angle and presentation, so if you are really hardcore about carrying, it's worthwhile to buy both to have as a matched set for different modes of carry. I use a thin leather 1.5" belt for the GWH and a 1.5" Wilderness 5 stitch instructor belt for the ACP.

Disclaimer: I do not get kickbacks from Lou or Dane. (Psst, guys - send the checks to the same place) :wink:

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

I still have 8 GWHs, in cordovan and black, from last week's shipment. All are right hand and for 5" gun.

Since Lou started making this model this is the first shipment not totally sold out before arrival. They won't last long. There are also ACP holsters available for a Commander or Officier's Model in black or cordovan for immediate delivery.

Same GWH rig in rayskin trim and shell cordovan.

Below, a ACP with sharp trim.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dane Burns on 2001-06-25 01:38 ]</font>

·
Registered
218 Posts
Dane,(or maybe Lou?)

Here's a GWH question: We certainly all have our opinions about which is more attractive, but can you or anyone else offer any insight as to which is more durable or which provides a more stable platform? This would seem to be a choice between the shark, stingray, or leather belt loop and trim.

Also, is one material superior for the holster body itsef? I'm equally curious about material thickness (prefering the thinnest material without sacrificing durability or resistance to perspiration.)

Is one holster body material easier than the other on a gun's finish?

Thanks,

Tim

(edited twice for dumb spelling errors!)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TimB92020 on 2001-06-25 23:54 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TimB92020 on 2001-06-25 23:56 ]</font>

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tim,
I use the plain old leather ones. They are the thiniest. Still using the first functioning prototype one Lou built for me. I have a ray trimed one and have sold ray and shark trimmed. But I like THIN over pretty.

They all have the same leather on the interior and are the same in stability, which is rock solid.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dane Burns on 2001-06-26 01:19 ]</font>

·
Registered
705 Posts
I have a GWH on order for my Kimber Compact right now.

Tim

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Any size 1911 plus the CZ, Beretta, some of the Sigs and HP. The demand for the GWH has strained the fingers of our good fella Lou and customer patience.

I am told he's shipping back ordered GWHs this week........ :grin:

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Actually it now looks like next week:)

Kydex or leather...I vote leather for comfort but the majority of that is design...design...design...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dane Burns on 2001-07-25 17:56 ]</font>

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.