Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recieved a Heinie DOJ for a 5" (pre-sellout) S&W 629 classic. What a beatifully crafted holster! The straight-drop configuration adds the versatility of being able to use the holster as a cross-draw too. These superb holsters are the result of a relationship between master holstermaker Lou Alessi and the dean of pistolsmiths, Richard Heinie. Lou interpreted the brilliant Bruce Nelson #1 Professional as his DOJ and offers it for most autopistols and the S&W "J" snubbies. Richard Heinie commisioned a special version with a low-cut front AND had Lou produce it as the Heinie DOJ for service autopistols AND service revolvers (up to 5" barrels). The Heinie DOJ's are available exclusively through http://www.heinie.com

While Lou and I have discussed this on the gunspot forum, many moons ago, I'll reiterate a bit of history and lore for those who didn't read it first time around.

Lou's DOJ is one of many versions of the Bruce Nelson #1 Professional holster. Unlike many of the makers of this type of holster, Lou actually had Bruce's blessing to produce it. When the California Dept. of Justice wanted to adopt Bruce's #1 Professional, Bruce told them that his one-man shop couldn't handle the order volume and pointed them to our own Lou Alessi. Like a musical maestro playing another maestro's composition, Lou added his own style and flavor to the rig. I understand that Bruce commented that the minor changes Lou made were objective improvements to the product.

Bruce designed the #1 Professional for autopistols. He offered a "#1 Professional" for revolvers, which while a very good holster, really didn't share the overall design on the #1 Professional for autos (the revolver version was similar to a Threepersons rig). I once asked Bruce why he didn't offer a revolver version in the style of the autopistol #1 Professional. He just said that he didn't think the design translated well for the wheelgun.

When Richard Heinie commisioned Lou to started producing the Heinie DOJ for service revolvers, it was clear that the design worked superbly. I asked Lou if he and Bruce had discussed this and if he had any insights into why Bruce didn't care for this style for a revolver. Lou pointed out that Bruce was a pretty trim fellow and that the height of a revolver from topstrap to triggerguard was such that, when you add in the holster's rear belt slot, the holster ends up being pretty wide. Being slim, Bruce thought the width too much. This is not a "problem" that Lou or I have and the Heinie DOJ is a superb revolver holster (just as Lou's original DOJ and the Heinie DOJ are both fabulous autopistol holsters).

Richard Heinie also commisioned variants of the Heinie DOJ incorporating thumbreaks and one that is contoured to work with a woman's build.

Another maker who had Bruce's blessing to produce the #1 Professional was Milt Sparks. Tony Kanaley produces superb renditions of this holster as the #55BN and the NLG and is always quick to credit the designs to the fertile and creative mind of Bruce Nelson.

Rosco

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rosco Benson on 2001-06-27 20:09 ]</font>

· Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Luigi, your reputation (and shadow) proceeds you! I wouldn't say that we have become portly, just that we have become more substanstial. We may have been lean once upon a time, but seldom mean...unless Jim Beam was involved (for me) or (I'm guessing) grappa for you...and then only to those who were most deserving. Of course that was way back when Hackathorn had hair.

The holster is a beauty, pal, Ya done good!

Rosco

· Registered
77 Posts
Rosco,
Glad you like the Holster. I have been able to conceal a 4" Python under a Suit Jacket with it. It is a very good way to carry a 5" N-Frame, with some degree of comfort.
I do own a Revolver or two. Thought I would
throw that in before somebody mentions it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.