Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello List,

I am going to install ambi safeties in a couple of my Kimbers. I've installed a C&S Hi Power thumb safety before successfully; I assume its a similiar job with a 1911.

What files and stones would you recommmend not for only fitting, but also for melting the thumb safety plate?

Also, does anyone have any experience with Kings Ambi and Ed Brown's Tactical Ambi safeties? How difficult are they to install? Are they MIM parts?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
239 Posts
JM:
See my various project threads re: Brown thumb safeties. I like the ambi tac unit, and have them on most of my guns. They appear to be cast, and are of good quality and dimensional uniformity. King's products are usually quite good, and I'd guess that they'd also be cast. CMC seems to be the biggest user of MIM, and I'm not real keen on their safety.

A #2 Swiss file with safe edges is your all around gunsmith's friend. You'll also want some needle file assortments, likely a half round and flat (I don't know all the traditional snazzy names for the file shapes, sorry) will do. Some 320 grit AlOx paper - I like the Metalite(?) that comes in 1" rolls -- backed by a big pink pencil eraser will make a handy block for finishing the contours. A Sharpie marker will also help.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Mr. Yam. I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I recontoured the thumb safety on a Kimber Pro CDP with a Dremel and an abrasive tip. It worked very well, looks great (will be perfect after a bead blast) and is much more comfortable when using a high thumb grip.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.