Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I traded for an AMT 1911 .45 and got a helluva deal on it because after 2 or 3 rounds the slide and frame would gall and lock up. I knew this before the deal was made so it's not like I got screwed, I just had to have it. The package included a new Bar-Sto ramped barrel and numerous top drawer aftermarket parts, about $600 total, not including the price of the gun, and I've got $215 in the whole thing. I took it apart and cleaned everything up, stoned the galled places and used 600 grit compound to lap the slide and frame, plenty of clearance here. It felt pretty smooth so I put it together with Rig Stainless Lube and went to the range. 7 rounds and it happened again! WTF? Any suggestions? Thanks.

· Registered
1,355 Posts
You might try using some of the money you saved and try a new or even used slide...If the galling was so bad to start with, I don't know where to even start. I'm sure I've heard at least a dozen stories pretty close to this...I can't think of one that was a happy ending with the stock parts...

Good luck, maybe one of the smiths' can help...

· Registered
21 Posts
kd, I have owned an AMT Hardballer for at least 10 years and have never had this problem although there was talk that the early production guns did gall. AMT changed the alloy and that was supposed to cure the problem. The early owners manual actually stated to use 30W motor oil on the frame rails to prevent galling. I have only used Breakfree on mine and have never had a hint of a problem. I've fired well over 6000 rds and I purchased it used. The slide is a loose fit but not sloppy and it still shoots 2.5" @ 50ft. I just picked up another used Hardballer. It is tight but functions without any problems. I am adding a few bells to this one and hope it performs as well as the first. Hope you can cure your problem. I'm told AMT has moved again, I would contact them and see what they recommend.

· Registered
1,355 Posts
That sounds like the best idea...I wasn't aware they were still around. Contact them and describe the problem. Maybe they'll help you out...! Keep us informed...I always loved the look of these pistols, just never heard of anyone that got them to run properly... Find out the smiths' name that takes care of Euromans' pistol, maybe he can help you if they won't !

· Registered
13 Posts
I've got a couple of ideas...Re-do your sanding/lapping procedure to eliminate obvious high spots. Then when it moves freely and smoothly,send the frame to a plater and get it hard-chromed.That or just about any type of gun coating/plating will eliminate future galling.I'm not an expert but I remember hearing that the galling of stainless is caused by the two pieces(in this case the frame and slide)being of the same hardness.The problem was resolved in the gun industry by using a different heat-treat between parts that rub against each other.
Accu-rail is another idea but cost about exactly what you paid for the gun in the first place.
One low-buck idea would be to try one of the molybdenum-based ("moly")bore coating lubes on the rails.It would probably need periodic reapplication after much use or if you stripped it clean with a solvent.
Let us know what you come up with and if you hear anything good from AMT.
Regarding AMT-I just read recently in one of the gun-rags that they were sold to a new owner by Harry Sanford's widow and I think the new name is "Galena" or something similar.Good Luck!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Gamblin'Gus on 2001-06-28 03:13 ]</font>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.