Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some kind of ankle holster I can wear on my right leg with a S$W 442. This way the pistol can be drawn with either my strong or week hand.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Joey on 2001-11-18 18:24 ]</font>

·
Registered
95 Posts
Well....

Not sure why you want to wear it that way, but to each his own! And, hey, if it works, by all means, carry on...

I, for one, have had great luck with the Renegade line of ankle holsters. I've had mine for about 9 months, and its survived quite a few scraps and foot chases without ever having the gun come loose. I started wearing it with a model 60, and recently went to a model 342. The much heavier model 60 should have been a problem in it if any would, but never a single problem. Best part was that is was only about $35. It does not have a thumb break (dept policy?), but does not need one.

I would not hesitate on using the Alessi for a second. More $$$ than the Renegade, but will last as long as the 442, I'd guess.

I have also heard good things about the one from Eagle, but don't know if I'd deal well with having my roscoe pointed back at my...ahem...if you know what I mean.

My $.02

Eric

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Alessi ankle holster, left handed(normally),
which means you would wear it on your right
inside ankle regularily, but wear it back-
wards on the left leg instead. I know, it
doesn't have a thumb-break, but honestly,
it is boned so well that nothing short of
an intentional tug is going to pop it out!
If you have to have a thumb-break, I say
dish out the ducats(and the wait) and buy
a Rosen Duncan.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have to agree with M. Hall about the Alessi holster. I have had one for a few years now and have done about everything there is to do with it on (run, jump, climb, strugle with others, etc) and have never had a lick of problem. It is boned very well and is still tight like the day I got it. The gun goes in and out of that holster a lot too, to switch between on-duty and off-duty use. All my personal holsters are open top now. I carry a G27 in mine.

G

·
IMO, FWIW,
Definitely go with an Alessi.
Also Lou will and does make them with a thumb break if requested.

The Alessi will last a long time and is one of the few ankle rigs I can actually tolerate and that is an endorsment as I hate ankle rigs.....

When stationed in Turkey during 1989 with a particuarly high risk principal I slept with my ankle rig on and a loaded .38spcl under my baggy legged sweats and depsite the heat and the stress, I was able to remain armed and prepared to fight my way to a real gun if need be.

Give Lou a call or if you want to try an equally good holster contact Ken Null.
Ken makes the only other ankle rig I can tolerate wearing.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Give Lou a call for the ankle holster. His are tops, and trust me, are a pain in the ass to make. More so than any other holster,IMO. I have made them in the past but generally try to avoid it. I don't know how Lou does for the money he asks. Lou, you should charge doulble based on how labor-intensive they are.
Mark Garrity
Garrity's Gunleather

·
Registered
25 Posts
I cna only add to the chorus, I have tried alot of ankle holsters over the years and threw them all away except for my Alessi's. Lou's ankle holster is simply without peer.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Well, Thanks guys,that's very much appreciated, and Mark, you're right, they are a pain in the ass to make. Of course you would know as well as anyone. :grin:
We will have to raise the price on them, along with our other holsters, mostly because of the labor factor, but leather has taken a significant jump also in the past year.
Lou

G

·
Alright let's all kick Mark in the [email protected]@#@# now.....

Lou, that was a misprint, his actual wording was "they are really easy to make and they should definitely remain at the same cost until at least 3-4 weeks from now when David's ankle rig on order ships out".......

·
Registered
849 Posts
David,, Don't worry. :grin: I've been talking about raising the prices for months now, so it won't happen any time soon. Besides, we would always honor all orders in house with the old prices.
Luigi'

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Louis F. Alessi on 2001-11-18 20:55 ]</font>

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.