Pistol Smith Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have 1911's galore but recently started shooting revolvers again. Any big fans of the 357 revolvers out there? If so, which is your favorites and why?

Colt King Cobra
Colt Python
S&W N-frames. L-frames or J-frames
Ruger GP's
Any others?

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I like the Python (4") and my Novak custom 640 j-frame S&W. I think it's
a heavy duty mutha in an N-frame, but would rather a .41 or .44 mag if I'm
gonna tote the beast.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Python and King Cobra

I just saw a 4" stainless King Cobra that was sweet. I really liked the balance of that gun. It felt good. Wished it was blue, but I may still go buy it. Can these triggers be worked on and be made smooth like S&W's?

Also saw a sweet little 2-1/2" Python!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a 686 Mountain Gun that has been highly tuned and had a few extra things done to it that I really like. It seems a bit lighter than my 66 4" and is 7 shot. The 66 has been tuned, too, but the 686 has a bit lighter trigger due to C&S extended firing pin.

·
Registered
47 Posts

I use a S&W 340 PD as my EASY TO CARRY hideout piece and don't even know it's there! It is a handful with full loads but it is so easy to just pack and carry! I would not trade it for anything!!!
8) Gene

·
Registered
288 Posts
I have a 12-year-old model 66, 2 1/2-inch barrel, that is my favorite .357.
It's my old reliable, very accurate for a snub, and always in the Jeep with me.

Also have a 386PD, a Ruger SP101, Ruger Blackhawk, and two Colt Troopers.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Hoser,
Nothing like a question like yours to get me really confused and seemingly unable to make a decision!! :roll: :roll: :roll:
I just love my old S & W Model 27s and 28s. They are about the smoothest double actions ever, of course quite heavy. That is why I have the model 19s, they are really neat and lighter than the Model 27 and 28. Of course, I would never give up my 2.5 inch and 4 inch Pythons, and for just something to knock around with, there is nothing like my old Ruger Blackhawk (single-action) .357s. Of course then there are my OLD STYLE (from the 1960 or so genre) Colt Troopers in .357 which can always be purchased cheap at gunshows, and are a pure pleasure to shoot, made in the days when EVERYTHING was hand-fitted and the actions on them feel like those on a tuned Python.
I am afraid I am NO help whatsoever. It is kind of like telling me to pick out ONE of my 1911s................. like a man with 5 children........... love them ALL.
Sorry I couldn't help!!
Best regards,
Jeffro

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Yeah, Jeffro likes revolvers....as long as they are pimpy! :D -Just playing
Jeff-Best to you!

·
Registered
440 Posts
Hoser,
Wanna hear something funny? I am a 1911 man. HOWEVER, anything that you pull the trigger on that goes boom is appealing to me. As I explain to people, I am NOT a collector. A collector (usually) has direction and is focused on a certain type, genre, or area of firearms. I see a firearm, and if it "calls out to me", I just go for it. I am an accumulator............ I see it....... I like it.......... and.......... it follows me home. Well, that is what I tell the wife!!!!! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

And as for YOU, Marc............. Don't be telling "family secrets" on me!!!! :lol: :lol:
Best to all,
Jeffro

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wife?

Hey Jeffro,
You're a better man than me --- I don't tell my wife ANYTHING! And she don't ask nuttin'. I don't think she wants to KNOW how many guns are in the safe.
:p

·
Registered
440 Posts
Re: Wife?

Hoser said:
Hey Jeffro,
You're a better man than me --- I don't tell my wife ANYTHING! :p
Hoser,
I would be lying if I told you that I tell her about my firearm acquisitions. Once in a great while, she will see me coming into the house with a new piece, and I usually just say, "Oh, that has been at my office for months, and I have been meaning to bring it home." She asks no further question, and I don't ask about the bags of dresses, shoes, skirts, etc. that just "show up". I figure if she spends me into the poorhouse, she will be in the same predicament! :p

Best,
Jeffro

·
Registered
663 Posts
It all depends on the day of the week, week of the month, the month, the mood, horoscope, tea leaves, ohjust forget it. I have so many I just put a blindfold on and reach in one of the safes and grab one. Thats the "carry gun du jour". I'm so fickle.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've been a 357 guy for a lot of years, I still think it's the best all-around, packable, shootable caliber there is, and I've taught a lot of people to shoot with it. Guns can vary from derringers to J-frames to N-frames to leverguns, I like them all. I can load them from mild to wild, mouse to moose. I even talked my chief into letting me revert from a "modern" 9mm DA auto pistol back to my revolver by shooting soda cans off the backstop at 50 yards with one. Bigger is better for some things, but unless you're shooting grizzlies, the 357 will do all that's needed most of the time.

As for "smuggling" new guns into the home past the better half, my buddy has a perfect solution. When they got married, he bought a Marlin lever-action rifle with plain wood. Over the years, he has added 12 more......she can't see any difference. As long as he only has one out at a time, she's none the wiser! :wink:

PJ

1 - 14 of 14 Posts