Pistol Smith Forum banner

Any Civilians Here Carry an ASP Baton?

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  GFoon 
#1 ·
Does anyone here carry an ASP baton? What are your thoughts on its use? What niche does it fill for you?

Thanks

G
#2 ·
I have carried one for almost every day over the past decade.
Now that I am a civillian I continue to carry a 16" airweight.

When outside of CONUS in the past I have carried a 21" airweight in locales that would not allow us to carry firearms.

In 96' Mark Garrity made me a very comfortable and concealable belt carrier with a break front for my 1.25" belts so even the 21" a.w. could be carried while I was wearing a suit without "clunks" or shifting on the small belts, I had tried the nylon Eagle and plastic carriers and found them to be difficult to wear, slow to deploy, and "noisy" when comin into contact with restaurant booths, church pews, door frames, etcetera as you move about normally.

I never actually took the ASP classes but I did attend three sessions of instruction with the ASP at the HK academy.
I adopted a combination style that allows for the ability to open the distance using short strikes to bone and soft tissue structures.
When closed the ASP is very easy to use as a "come along" and pressure bar to assist in the take down techniques.

#3 ·
Thank you Mr. DiFabio for your comments.

I am looking for a force option just above OC. Adding an Asp lightweight model to my own batbelt seems like a good idea.

#5 ·
I always thought they were BS until a friend who took the training showed me the drill. I have a couple around somewhere but don't carry them. I did however take my Club steering wheel lock and grind it to sort of a sabre point. The cutting edge is at about 90 degrees-- you can't exactly use it in the kitchen-- but it would be pretty good as a whacker and a poker. The bonus is that when you "unsheath" it from its mating part, the mating part also makes a good club and parrying piece. The "sabre" part even has a knuckle guard of sorts. Probably illegal as hell, but it's so discreet.

Have also taken a piece of 1/2" nylon rod with a pointy end, wrapped in a rolled-up newspaper, for some trips to the big city where I was going to be at an event where other means of self defense were illegal/impractical/inadviseable.

#7 ·
Having an ASP baton saved my life in a public restroom a few years ago. They are devastating when applied liberally upon a goblin's head, face, and shoulders.

Keep in mind, however, that ASP batons are illegal in most states. They are considered an offensive weapon, i.e. a bludgeon, club, etc.

Check your local laws.

#8 ·
Luckily, I live in Indiana which means I can carry anything, but a sawed off shotgun.

I was confronted by a mentally ill individual the other day in a parking lot. I am not sure that my OC would of had much of an effect on the person.

Thanks all for the advice.

#9 ·
My wife and I completed the "OC spray and expandable baton" class at Rangemaster's in Memphis last spring. We both now carry the Tennessee baton certification which addresses the legal issues. The class contained very valuable information on both subjects.

I train paramedics at the local community college and Tennessee carry laws prohibit firearms at colleges and universities.
Since August 2001, I have lectured in front of 40 paramedic students each week with FOX OC spray in my weak side pocket and the expandable baton in my strong side pocket. No student to my knowledge has realized I carry a baton.

I wear cargo pants during lecture which have pockets deep enough for the baton. During the summer, I have cargo shorts which have pockets deep enough for the baton. The OC spray and baton give options when lethal force in not required.

Regardless of the weapon carried, I always remember what Tom Given's taught me in the Level I class
...."your mind is the best weapon...."
Hope I quoted him correctly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.