Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings!

My first post, although I've lurked for a month. As you can tell from my topic, I'm in the heart of Arizona. I'm looking to own a custom or semi-custom 1911, but I want to start my search locally.

There are two local 'custom' pistolsmiths that I have visited and am aware of. The first one is a one-man shop named "Big Bore", in which Gordon Fallick is the man. His website is http://www.bigborecustom.com. The other guy's name is Robert or Bob and his shop is 1911Heaven (www.1911heaven.com). The name he puts on his pistols is "Thoroughbred".

Have any of you heard of either of these guys? What kind of reputation do these guys have if you know of them? Are their pistols any good and would you buy one?

If you know of any other AZ based pistolsmiths, I'd love to hear about them. If I can't find a super accurate 1911 locally, I'm leaning towards a Rock River Arms Standard Match with hardchrome and 1 1/2" guarantee. (I have ~$1,500 to blow, give or take).

Thanks for taking the time to read my post!

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Sorry, I haven't had the peasure of meeting either of the men you named. I have only been in Seattle for six years and the vast majority of folks I know in the area are ones I met as long ago as the mid '80s while shooting IPSC in the NW and AREA 1.

Looks like some nice pistols both guys are building. My guess is neither have heard of me either so don't let that worry you. :grin:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the feedback, guys.

I checked out Don Williams website. His work and his credentials look quite impressive, however, it doesn't look like he builds guns from 'scratch'. I'm not looking to have a stock gun 'customized'. I'm lusting after a gun built by hand from the ground up.

I'm also curious as to how some guys get themselves and their wares 'featured' in gun rags, whereas some guys putting out A-1 work are completely obscure.

As a LOOSE example, I see Robar's guns in the mags all the time. Yet I've talked to several shooters that don't hold Robbie's work in very high regard, including a guy that used to work with him. On the other hand, these guys I'm talking about are building some beautiful looking pistols. (I have no idea how they shoot but upon inspection they seem flawless, tight, and well built) They have very conspicuous, nice looking facilities, and have been in business for at least a few years in Phoenix. Rob from 1911heaven is from Florida, I hear, where he was a pistolsmith for some time, and Gordon was doing his thing in Seattle for some time before moving here. Yet no one really knows of them on this forum or on 1911forum.

Just my thoughts...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Oh Boy,
Phoenix is a shooter's place.
First Big Bore and 1911 Heavon are excellent
also try Robars and Kodiak Presicion as well as Accuracy Speaks.

When in doubt go to Rio Salado for Tuesday nite steele.
There are a couple of private guys who also do superior work

The guy outside of Fort Huachucha (or however it is spelled) also does great work.

You might try the Cactus Combat League on Thursday night. But I found Rio Salada to be tops.

They are friendly and are more than willing to help

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have had Chuck Rogers of Roger's Precision do at least three guns that I can remember, one is a Colt S/S Combat Commander full house Carry gun. I had Chuck build a 9mm Combat Commander for my wife, and he also built me a limited class Springfield 5" with bar-sto barrel and melted bo-mar with a 1 and 1/2 pound trigger pull.... All three of the guns are 100% reliable with everything I have ever fed them, including a bunch of "specialty" ammo. Just as a side note, I have my wife looking over my shoulder telling me to comment about all of the guns also feeding "empty" shells!!!!

I love chucks work, I have not personally owned any of Don Williams' custom worked over guns, but I have shot several of them and they are also extremely awesome!!!!!

Hope the info helps!!!!

P.s. Chuck and Don can both build guns from the ground up if you want!!!!!

Jim Hanson

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jim Hanson on 2001-08-04 20:23 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jim Hanson on 2001-08-04 20:25 ]</font>

·
Registered
693 Posts
Why do you NEED to have it local in Phoenix area? Never matters to me because I just want the BEST, not the closest.

Let's face it, if Burns or Heinie or Garthwaite or Vickers are building me a gun, I think the last thing they'd want is ME breathing down their neck every week because I live close enough to do it (because that's what I'd probably be doing)!

Now if you're doing it to help the local economy and keep the money "home", then I guess that's cool.

For what it's worth, I've seen, and will someday own, a "ground-up" Burns pistol and can't recommend them highly enough! They just "feel" right!

Hope this post didn't come across rude, it's not meant to be. Good luck in your search and let us know how it goes! :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Hoser on 2001-08-04 21:00 ]</font>

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Once again, thanks so much for the helpful advice. I was quick to assume that Don Williams wouldn't build a pistol from the ground up. I will be heading to Prescott in the next week or two, so I will make a point of trying to visit Don and Chuck.

Hoser,
Absolutely no offense taken. I understand what you are saying perfectly. I will go abroad if I have to, but there are many reasons to stay 'local'. I've never personally seen a Burns, Vickers, or any other top-name custom gun. So if I stay local, at least I'll have a chance to see some of their work before I decide to purchase. Keeping it in the local economy is another factor. Being able to check up on my pistol (without breathing down their neck, of course) would be a great advantage, as well as getting to know the gunsmith PERSONALLY. And last but not least, Arizona is pretty much a shooter's paradise. A guy living in one of the most gun friendly states around should be able to find a quality smith, RIGHT?!;)

·
Registered
693 Posts
Sounds reasonable! I forgot to mention that of all the gunsmiths, Don Williams would probably be your best bet for a custom toy. Sounds like you've made that decision anyway! :smile:

Good luck and keep us posted with progress.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.