Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are so many good holster designs out there it is obviously quite hard to choose. Are there any rules of thumb based on build to narrow down the list? I am pretty trim at 5'7", 140lb, so proper selection is key. My first thoughts for IWB were a Sparks VM2, Watch 6 DT, Alessi GWH, or CQC/I... unfortunately that is quite a few. For OWB I looked at the Heinie/Alessi DOJ, but would it be better to pick something like a GWH/ACP combo so that the rake is similiar? I'll want to carry a Gov't 1911, but, as for OWB, I already accept it is unlikely for me without an heavy coat.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: telackey on 2001-08-29 19:39 ]</font>

·
Registered
160 Posts
I can't call them "rules of thumb", but my main problem in concealing a gov't.-sized pistol was length of the frame, or "butt print". The main criteria in my holster search were rake (enough "muzzle-rear" to keep the butt forward) and the degree to which the holster pulls the butt into the side,or allows the belt to do so. I'm 6'1" and 175, so my sides may move out to meet the gun a bit more than yours (don't laugh - the holster doesn't do it all), but I solved both the rake and closeness problem with Lou's MOB, worn at a near 4:30 position. His belt slide also has enough rake and "hold" to accomplish this as an outside rig, but not to the extent of the MOB, of course. Solving those two problems pretty much left the rest of it up to choice of clothing for me. In some situations, as the day wears on, you may find it necessary to tighten your belt a notch as your body dehydrates or loses mass for whatever reason. This is a good reason for hunting out belts with less-than-inch buckle holes.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.