Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a surprise Norinco SKS and absolutely love it! By surprise I mean I couldn't believe how incredibly accurate and reliable these suckers are, and for $200 it's a fun semi-auto to shoot. The only thing I added is an ATI Monte Carlo stock and I've had groups under 2" from 100yds using the iron sights and Wolf ammo. The only bad thing is the barrel gets hot very easily and thats when shots go all over the place. Its now one of my favorite rifles!

And now with a scope...

- Robert Browning -

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Glock_Racer on 2001-10-15 22:18 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Glock_Racer on 2001-10-21 21:56 ]</font>

·
Registered
579 Posts
I have a Russian SKS that I picked up just because it was a year younger than I am! LOL Most of the Battle Rifles that I have had the chance to shoot (friends, club guns, et.) usually do a good job on plates out to 500 yds.

edit: by battle rifles I ment all military surplus rifles, not just the sks ...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Randall_1611 on 2001-10-17 21:34 ]</font>

·
Registered
58 Posts
i bought a russian sks because it was also just a year younger then i, i find it too pretty to drastically change.

i'm now deciding between getting a romanian and waiting to see if i can get a yugo

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've been playing with an AK that's been sitting, NIB, in a safe for 20+ years now.

It's a fun, but very crude, weapon and
-unfortunately- the accuracy I'm getting out of it doesn't even approach your good fortune.

DOESN'T / DIDN'T ANYONE MAKE A PEEP REAR SIGHT FOR THESE THINGS??? That'd really make 'em awesome at 100 yds. and out!

But hey! It's a pre-ban under folder that came with six 30 rd'ers and all's I ever expected from it when I bought it 2 decades ago was "pie plates at 100 yds", anyway.

To me, most frustrating of all is the inability to 'finely' adjust the windage via drifting the front sight back and forth and using the "C" clamp style adj. tool.

My nephew's a real SKS fan and he's going to join me soon for a reactive steel "shoot off" between the two x39's. From what y'all are claiming from your SKS's, I'm in for a whuppin' :smile:

It's a piece of history though and, as long as ammo is cheap, I'm sure it'll remain one of my favorite steel ringers!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thanks Ken! That'll be my catalog search mission for the evening -- I'm convinced a peep is all my under folder needs!

Update:
For anyone else that's interested, Brownell's does indeed still carry Williams'
Adjustable Rear sights for both the AK and the SKS rifles!
You can choose between the traditional "U" type notch or an actual peep (or a.k.a.-"Aperture") sight.

Prices are from $18 to $25.00 not incl. shipping -- just use the word "williams" to Search with.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: thor on 2001-10-17 22:27 ]</font>

·
Registered
219 Posts
Yes, I do!

The one I really enjoy is a SKS Sporter that was one of the factory conversions for the AK mag and it is wonderful. When I first bought it, I decided to see just exactly how much punishment it could take.

1,657 rounds later, I had to finally clean it.

One of my favorites (and it shoots a real caliber).

Denny

·
Registered
64 Posts
hey Racer... seems you have the same problem as me, take the wood off the gas tube and possibly wreck it or leave the wood on. I left the wood on. :smile:

I have 2 Norinco SKS's, this one has a choate Conventional stock and when money allows the other one is going to get a druganov style Stock.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Peep sights for the SKS are a snap. I use empty toilet paper rolls for them; just put a drop of glue - I used hot glue - on top of the SKS reciever and attach the toilet paper roll. Really gives you great accuracy on those shots way out past 100 yds. With this arrangement I've shot bullets out to at least 500 yds. using the SKS and they all hit (something). If you need a waterproof peep sight - I'm pretty sure a short piece of PVC pipe would work.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hankhan on 2001-12-12 18:33 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hankhan on 2001-12-12 18:35 ]</font>

·
Registered
19 Posts
On 2001-10-27 18:58, Westicle wrote:
hey Racer... seems you have the same problem as me, take the wood off the gas tube and possibly wreck it or leave the wood on. I left the wood on. :smile:
to take the wood off. remove the gas tube. at the back of it there is a little pin thats holds the rear most metal piece on. just drive that out and wiggle the metal piece off. = wood is off.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have had 9 different SKS's over the years and I am in between 9 and 10 right now. They have all shot damn good out to 200 yds, not sure what kind of power is left out there but 4 inch groups out of an SKS at 200 is pretty bloody good. The most I have paid for one is $150.00 CDN!!!!! I think right now they have gone upto about $180.00 CDN at Lever Arms in vancouver BC, that translates to about $100-140 American for you guys down south of me.

rob

·
Registered
628 Posts
Are the Yugo guns worth a damn?

I might just hold out for an AK, dunno. Maybe the Robarms VEPR

·
Registered
24 Posts
This is a late post to add to this thread, but I wanted to chime in too...for certain, these ugly little commie-built guns are one of the best shootin' deals out there for anyone!
1. politically correct as-is....(if the bayo is'nt attached) with 10 or 20-rd integral box mag, wood stock, non-EBR*(evilblackrifle)
2. handy as hell...perfect carbine size, the long 30-round stick mags on my AKM always get inna way
3. shoot great...
4. 7.62x39 rd is lethal, cheap, abundant
5. dollars...a great deal
6. so many made always gonna be around, spare parts as well
7. did I mention they aren't EBR's?

Toecutter

·
Registered
7 Posts
Back in the late 80s I bought an SKS for $280 when the 10 round fixed mag version was going for under $100.00. It came with 3 AK mags and has the long 24" bbl & blade bayonet.

I was wondering if anyone who has one of these has tried to put it into a synthetic stock. I never saw another one like it until the short bbl sporter came out in the 90s. It was made in the USSR & is a pure SKS, designed for use with the AK 30 rd Mag.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Personally, I believe the (commie) SKS is/was the best Fencepost ever made.

Some models even come factory-equipped with a sort of Stakepost accessory-
thingie attached to the muzzle end that, when folded out, facilitates shoving
the SKS Fencepost into the ground by hand without using tools. This item
alone is a real marvel of human engineering (aka, ergonomics).

However, depending on your local geology, SKS Fenceposts not so equipped must
often be hammered into their proper place (i.e., muzzle-down in the ground) using
a maul or some other blunt object. Still, this is a small price to pay in order
to properly bury the DEAD.

Moreover, once buried, all SKS Fenceposts ever made are equipped with ample mounting
points for securely attaching whatever barbed-wire suits your choice/style/experience.
Any/all barbed-wire types also combine nicely with SKS Fenceposts in a variety of
landscapes from Gulag/Havana-Chic to *******/Pearly-Gates to Alcatraz/Bird-Bath.

Nonetheless, YMMV.

Cheers,
Four2Niner

·
Registered
24 Posts
Aww, 429er, you can certainly do alot better with fenceposts like Jap Arisakas, Italian Carcanos, and Frnch Lebels....why pick on a gun that has brought newcomers into the gun world, rather than scare them away? Don't ya think it's kinda neat when any gun can inspire fresh groups of interested people into our culture...I think that you would like to preserve our American right to bear arms, no?
Please feel free to explain your logic of dissing this fine weapon that has probably brought untold numbers of non-gunners into the realm of gun-ownership today.

Toecutter

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ask a simple question ,get a simple answer :smile:
I did however earn High Master, with my M1As. All US ARMY NM parts, x Reciever & BBLs. No cast Springfield junk in these Fence posts. Do a little reading on the SKS it just might surprise you.
Cheers :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Marturo on 2002-03-29 20:16 ]</font>

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.