Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a good .22 Lr pistol that shoots good tight groups and I'm thinking the S&W model 41. I don't like the Rugers they don't feel good in my hand can someone give me some feed back on this S&W model ?

·
Registered
285 Posts
If you want tight groups, the Smith 41 should deliver them quite well. It's also a very easy pistol to field strip.

One downside to the 41 is that it can be very finicky about its diet, i.e., it won't cycle reliably with the same range of ammo that something like a Ruger MkII or a Browning Buckmark will digest. And like the other non-Sigma S&W pistols, the 41 has a magazine safety -- a "feature" which I, for one, would gladly do without.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had one for awhile and was sorely disappointed. I had heard that they were tack drivers, but mine certainly was not. I must have tried 30 different types of ammo including all the Elley stuff and it would only do about 1" groups at 25 yards. Once in awhile it would turn in a 3/4". My AMT Baby Auto Mag would out shoot the thing every time and typically shoots 1/2" or under at 25 yards. The 41 went down the road.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Mine is my favorite .22. Toughest part of the Mod41 is paying for it. It is responsible for great improvement in my shooting as I use it to drill my fundamentals (trigger control, sight alignment) regularly.

Just don't shoot remington ammo. I find everything else shoots fine in mine.

You'll forget the cost the first time you pull the trigger.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Homer or Charles Pearson at Champion's Choice might give you the scoop on current Model 41 production, and which other guns are being made correctly right now. Their number is (615) 793-4066. A lot of Bullseye shooters at our club have a very high regard for the company. I just got their 2001 catalog. Looks good.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The only thing I regret about shooting my 41 is the fear of scratching or denting it.
Mine is a little ammo sensitive, but most (not all) 22s seem to shoot one brand or type better than others.

Overall I consider .22s the most ammo sensitive firearms I have ever shot.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The only thing I regret about shooting my 41 is the fear of scratching or denting it.
Mine is a little ammo sensitive, but most (not all) 22s seem to shoot one brand or type better than others.

Overall I consider .22s the most ammo sensitive firearms I have ever shot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.