Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know they've been around for awhile. These seem like an interesting weapon for the price, especially with that roller locked system and the hot 7.62mm round. What do they shoot like? Is ammo cheap and readily available? Are there several different manufacturers or just one? Are some better than others? Which distributor has the best selection? It seems like an interesting weapon....but is it any good??

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have one and it's an interesting gun. It needs a modified slide release, as the original doesn't have one. I took the original off and drilled, pinned and welded a shelf on it so you could release it with your thumb, but they make the part commercially now. The ammo is available mail order or in some gun stores. Winchester is making the ammo now. Quality is good, but basic GI. Meaning it's usually pretty basic, Parkerized and useless sights. For $150, it's hard to go wrong. Semper Fidelis...Ken M

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchased a CZ-52 about a week ago. I found Sellier & Bellot 7,62mm ammo for about $10 for 50. I shot two hundred rounds threw mine without any problems. I purchased it with the intentions on shooting it a few times and selling it but I have decided to keep it. Allot of gun for the price! I was told that Cor-Bon made a defensive round but I have not tried to find any. I am thinking about ordering an after-market slide release for $20.

·
Registered
269 Posts
On 2001-07-09 15:16, Friar Tuck wrote:
I know they've been around for awhile. These seem like an interesting weapon for the price, especially with that roller locked system and the hot 7.62mm round. What do they shoot like? Is ammo cheap and readily available? Are there several different manufacturers or just one? Are some better than others? Which distributor has the best selection? It seems like an interesting weapon....but is it any good??
If you see the German at the gunshows he's got em for $119 ;D

FAC(federal arms corp out of fridley MN) sells the slide releases and F.A.Tin Tampa has stainless firing pins(don't dry fire them unless you have a couple extra pins or a stainless one because the originals are cast and brittle).

Also be sure to point it in a safe direction if you try the decocker with a round in the chamber because there is an upgrade for em and most don't have it yet.

more info here
and a webboard here

hope this helps,

G

·
On 2001-07-13 23:22, David DiFabio wrote:
I tend to like the Russian versions as they seem to be solid and fairly well built.

Actually it is odd timing as George Smith at EGW is currently building/customizing a CZ52 for me as we speak with Ashley sights and a host of good things.

With a good barrel and crown they are capable of exceptional accuracy and the 7.62 round is fairly flat shooting.
It has great pentration and performs fairly similar to 9mm ammo.

I was first introduced to one while in the Soviet Union and it is a very popular carry gun among the russian body guards and security forces.

While not a true "manstopper" it is very good against vehichles and intermidiate barriers, with a small caliber pistol shot placement is important and properly cleaned up the CZ52 is a very capable gun.
http://www.gungarage.com/ also has a fair amount of good CZ52 info.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: David DiFabio on 2001-07-17 22:27 ]</font>

·
Registered
269 Posts
Makarov.com has server problems and mirrored thier site at http://www.makarovpistol.com and they have a large selection of CZ52 parts and accessories as well as some info.

http://www.makarovpistol.com/cz52/index.html

including some 9x23 barrels they say will work using largo but don't recommend using the win or .38super through them.

Interesting stuff.

had to add: I shot mine for the first time this sunday...neat as can be for a ~$119+ piece.

fyi,

Eugene

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Eugene D. Goodwin on 2001-07-23 20:26 ]</font>

·
Registered
391 Posts
Don't bother to buy the aftermarket slide stop; it doesn't work at all. Designed by the gent who invented the Desert Eagle, it is much too short and a slight jar will release the slide. And, after cutting away the grip, etc. malfunction! Unacceptable in my book.
The little pistol works admirably with largo ammo, but I suggest not using the Korean barrels (which have soft rollers) and stick to handloads with less ferocity than the Blazers. The 52 is much more reliable with 9X21 ammo loaded to sensible levels.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I bought a few of these.
I tested them with overloads.
Of the many guns I have tested, only a CZ52 fails my .1 gr load work up test.
The brass does not fail.
The barrel splits, destroying the slide, the extractor, the extractor pin, and the recoil spring.

The extractor is ejected at a lethal velocity.

I consider the CZ52 to be an unsafe pistol.
Far stronger and safer is the Tokarev, despite what some books say.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.