Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I read David's fascinating post on .45 ammo, I havew been fixated on the Ranger T. Looking at the expanded jacket of the ranger, it looks more devestating than the "mushrooms" of other brands. However while I can find the SXT brand all over, I can't seem to hunt down the "T" version anywhere. Does anybody know of somebody who actually carries and ships this ?

·
Registered
40 Posts
On 2001-07-23 09:36, BigBoy wrote:
Ever since I read David's fascinating post on .45 ammo, I havew been fixated on the Ranger T. Looking at the expanded jacket of the ranger, it looks more devestating than the "mushrooms" of other brands. However while I can find the SXT brand all over, I can't seem to hunt down the "T" version anywhere. Does anybody know of somebody who actually carries and ships this ?
I've seen it for sale on Auction Arms.
Around $35 for a box of 50.
My understanding is that this is NOS, and
was in .40 S&W. I didnt do a search on .45acp.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Not sure anything is really worth jumping through hoops for? Considering how much this can vary from lot to lot, day to day, gun to gun...

Some some gel results for various stuff from a G27 (bare, cloth):

WIN 180 Ranger RA40T 11/.70, 13/.64
PMC 180 SF 40SFA 12/.70, 16/.61
WIN 180 JHP XSUB40SW 13.5/.66, 13.5/.63
Speer 180 GD 23962 14/.63, 13.5/.62
Fed 165 HS P40HS3G 13/.62, 15/.57

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
http://www.ammobank.com

They have the original, "evil" Black Talons on sale for a whopping $50.00 a box -- considered a "collector". Check out their site, it does have some good deals. Thanks to David for the info he sent me.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BigBoy on 2001-08-08 08:13 ]</font>

·
Registered
244 Posts
Not much difference in the Win loads over time despite all the changes in names and marketing?

180gr Black Talon, 4" bbl:
Bare gelatin: 13.5" penetration, .69" expansion
Heavily Clothed Gelatin: 14.4" penetration, .70" expansion

180gr Ranger Talon RA40SXT, 4" bbl:
Bare gelatin: 13.75" penetation, .69" expansion
Heavily clothed gelatin: 13.65" penetration, .70" expansion

180gr Ranger T RA40T, 5" bbl:
Bare gelatin: 13.55" penetration, .68" expansion
Heavily clothed gelatin: 13.5" penetration, .68" expansion

If penetration is your bag, from a Glock 27 I've seen the 180 PMC Starfire go deeper and/or get bigger too.

Hard to find a "bad" 180/40 load these days?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MichaelOrick on 2001-08-10 13:03 ]</font>

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Michael;

Glad to see you over here, I'm still a fan of your calibers listing. Have you had the chance to try the Ranger T in it's 230 gr. bullet ? David feels the 180 gr is poor in penetration, and his testing showed the 230 grainer doing the job.

G

·
I think that we need to keep in perspective that the SXT and the Talon are in deed seperate bullet designs.

I have often read in the press that the SXT is really a "declawed" Talon.

This is very much not the case and the bullets are quite different in both design and performance criterion.

Actually to clarify, I believe that the 180gr .40 S&W loadings are in fact the only 40S&W rounds I would use, were I too use a 40S&W.

I do not however choose to use a 40S&W as it fails to serve any advantage or purpose in
lieu of my chosen 10mm and .45acp pistols.

Were I too require a pistol of 40S&W dimensions for the purposes of reduced size;

I would choose a .357Sig pistol loaded with Winchester's truly excellent 127gr Ranger Talon loading. While I am certainly giving up some performance or "power" per say in moving from my chosen .41magnum custom N frame as my backup.

I am comfortable with the Sig P239 in .357Sig and feel that performance will be very conisistent and improved from the .40S&W somewhere in the realm of 40-55% effectiveness , this is very good performance from an autopistol cartridge.

If you are still unable to find the Ranger T ammo send me an email and I will look up some sources for you.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Picked up some Ranger-T in .45 at the gun show yesterday. $40/box of 50. Many boxes available. Another dealer had 4 cases of Ranger-T in 9mm for $20/box of 50. Supposedly procured from an Department in WY.

Yet another "dealer" was selling 9mm and .40 Ranger-T for $15/box of 50. Opened these boxes (as I always do), and found them to be stuffed with regular SXT. :mad: Some folks just NEED a good spankin'!

G

·
I have recomended these guys to a few people out there and they seem to be pretty good.

One-Eyed Jack, Inc.
18124 Wedge PKWY 103
Reno, NV 89511
[email protected]

They stock the Ranger T and seem to keep getting it in.
Now I'm sure they will be sold out, but so what you guys keep emailing me so here is one source.

·
Registered
244 Posts
After cloth:

180 Ranger Talon 13.65/.70
180 Hydra-Shok 19.8/.59
180 XTP 18/.55
180 Gold Dot 17.5/.60
180 Golden Saber 14.8/.67
180 Win JHP 14.4/.63
180 Starfire 13.3/.65

Indiana State Police shot into hogs covered with denim and went 180 Ranger T, then 165 Ranger T, now are using 180 Gold Dot...

Yesterday's turkey is today's eagle?

I still say flip a coin, buy low bidder, or pick the snazziest box.:wink:

·
Registered
372 Posts
Michael,

Did all of the above consistently expand thou? I'm particularly wondering about the Hydra.

Carrying ProLoad 180gr'ers right now :smile:

G

·
The GD bullets have proven to be excellent time and time again, they are arguably one of the best choices available.

As with most things the greater energies avaialble help to drive the GD to deeper penteration depths for the most part as loaded by PL.

Some of the loadings actually pentrate less at higher velocities as you reach the GD bullets predefined yield/expansion points.

I would not worry about a possible lack of penetration and would feel confident in a Pro Load GD loading.

As to the Ranger T, you either like them or you don't.
Certainly they are not justification for using a handgun in lieu of a long arm bu they do offer advantages within a given scope of application.

Super bullets they are not, but they are pretty good, superior to almost all of the common loadings and well worth the cost but quite honestly I seriously doubt that you will fail to survive the encounter based on milimeter measurements or tenths of an inch in the wound cavity.

The "new" white box Winchester JHP loadings along with the Federal Classic standard JHPs will do anything you need them to do at a lower cost.

I use what I have confidence in, I became confident from testing and hunting animals with my chosen gear, test your own gear and use what works for you.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I agree with David. If you can secure a source for Ranger T ammo at a reasonable price, then that's by far the best option. Other than that, I'd choose a standard JHP from Win., Rem., or Fed. They are inexpensive and actually outperform their sexy counterparts, IMO.

I can't find a source for Ranger T in .40cal., so I carry the Winchester USA 180gr. JHP.

There is so little difference in expanded diameters between both brands of ammo as well as calibers, that I pretty much ignore it. Once you have reliable penetration at around 13"-16", you have done maximized the potential of your ammo.

Continue to test and practice with what you carry. You never know when you might find a bad box of ammo, have a part fail, or find the ammo in your magazine has corroded or deteriorated in some way.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.