Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Check Glocktalk forums and the ar15.com forums. Two very different experiences are described.

·
Registered
207 Posts
West Virginia

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yes I have. Two years ago I started my weapons training there. My first class was a 3 day Tactical Carbine class. Excellent. My second class was the 2 day Defensive Handgun. Excellent. My third class was a 5-day HRP High Risk Personel last May. Phenomenal!! The classes begin with some 3 hours of classroom. Some simple drills with cleared guns. The pace picks up rapidly as soon as you leave the classrooom. The HRP course was handgun, shotgun & carbine. The vehicle defense was with a partner and was more exciting than any shooting I've ever done. Other tactics were in threesomes. The techniques I've learned are to prepare you for a real shootout. You're taught to hunch your shoulders because that's what YOU will do when YOU are shot at. The ready position is just below your chin with both hands on the weapon, not with your arms extended 20 degrees below the horizon. To test your concentration you're bumped and pushed on the firing line when you shoot. Occasionally the instructors will shoot a simunition round into your posterior to distract you while shooting. Most of your handgun shooting is done on one range while there are 5 other ranges where you can practice shootouts with multiple targets,pepper poppers and dummies in cars. Failure drills are stressed in the programs. Safety is paramount too. I've seen the course curriculum change in 2 minutes when a safety issue came up where one of 3 shooters could have swept a team member on a vehicle bailout. I was impressed with that. I was sorry to see the change.....however it may have posed a problem. The HRP course had "Bad guys" shooting at you for the final 2 days of the course. That will get your attention!! We'd pull up into the U-shaped bunker in the car and we'd be attacked by up to 4 bad guys. 4 vs. 2. We learned to put our training to work. I saw some make the dumbest mistakes I've ever seen....really stupid stupid mistakes. They always say you don't know how you're going to handle yourself until it happens. I'm a beliver in that.... seeing people open their car doors into the attacker, falling at the attackers feet onto gravel and crawling around , startling their partner and being shot in the head as a result. Each scenario was a learning experience for all of us. Each class was a diverse group of professionals. All brought quality weapons and were there to learn. Again, the pace is rapid. It may be humbling to some. Rod Ryden is the owner/operator and is prior special forces and LEO with the D.C. Police. He is no nonsense from the word go. Rod doesn't lack any energy. His sole goal is to bring you to the highest level and to WIN. Period. You will leave with a different mindset. I did. Since I've attended several other courses elsewhere, I still revert back to the skills I learned at Storm Mountain. Instructors may stop and watch my technique, and many ask where I've learned to hunch or keep the gun in tight, but I haven't had a one try to change what I do that works. Rod studies shootings and brings to the clients the techniques that will help you to WIN. I like his teaching techniques. He will humble you. I would go back to the hotel room and practice draws & mag changes at night just to keep from getting his attention the next day at the range. He'll correct your mistakes. He'll ride you till you stop your bad habits and the muscle memory kicks in. I can recommend Storm Mountain after my 3-4 courses I've taken. I believe you'll enjoy your training there if you choose to attend. Take care & God Bless.....Keith

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.