Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of purchasing a home bartending set, which includes things like a shaker, 2 sided jigger, stirring spoon, strainer, etc.
One big difference I noticed is that the 2 sided jigger (for measuring shots in ounces) comes in various sizes, depending on which set you buy. What is easier for most bartending needs...a jigger that is 1 1/4 oz on one side and 3/4 on the other, or 1 oz on one side and 1 1/2 oz on the other? I thought that it'd be best to get one that is 1 oz on one side and 1/2 oz on the other, but most sets don't seem to come with those.
Suggestions?

·
Registered
705 Posts
Go to a restaurant supply store and get a 1 1/4 oz. jigger. Short pour to make 1 oz. and pour with a tail to get 1 1/2 oz measured pour. Jiggers really are cheap enough to buy a couple of different sizes. While you are at that store, buy some professional pour spouts. The spouts make it possible to pour consistent drinks. Also buy a rubber drink mat to make your drinks on. They keep the booze off the glasses when the eventual errant pour come along. Some friends may even be dared into drinking shots of the over pours left in the mat. :grin:

You can also get the rest of your suppies there. Get a bar spoon with the helix like shaped handle. This makes it easy to stir by placing it between the palms of both hands and rubbing back and forth. You might even consider getting one of those salt and lime juice holders, if you like making margaritas. You should also be able to pickup a one of those rectangular garnish holders for pretty cheap too. Much classier to fish olives, limes,lemon twists etc. out of it, rather than from a bunch of jars. Grab a couple of the plastic juice bottle with the built in pour spouts while you are at it. They may also have the good sweet-n-sour mix, which is infinitely better than the crap sold in most liquor stores. Do you have a decent blender? If not, you could buy a profesional style one there. Maybe even a flash blender too. I hope you were after a fully equiped home bar, as I have just spent a bunch of your money. :cool:

DD

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I actually managed to find a 1 oz and .5 oz jigger. I'll probably get more jiggers of different sizes soon enough.
Good point about the rubber mats, DD. I totally forgot about those. Thanks!

Oh, and I love that movie Coctail! Not because I thought it had a great story line. But tell me...is there not one guy alive that wishes he can bartend and flip bottles like that? Talk about being the life of any party.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Ken,

In the movie Cocktail the first bar Tom Cruise's character goes into is modeled on a T.G.I. Friday's, which is where I once worked... many, many, years ago. So, no wishing needed for me. :cool: That style of bartending is called showboating by some, but it is a lot of fun and the tips are big! It is definitely a good job for meeting women!! Everything is free poured (no jigger), but you actually have to pass a pouring test before they let you have your way with the bottles. I still find myself spinning bottles when I empty them.

DD

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Desert Dog on 2001-05-24 20:15 ]</font>

·
Registered
36 Posts
-Note to self. Don't spin the bottles with the bubbles in them. They tend to make a mess.

G

·
Once you get used to the speed pourers, you won't need the jiggers. I never used them when I worked. I always thought Sam on "Cheers" had great style.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.