Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked this gun up last nite and should be getting it next week. It is a LW commander and looks pretty good. Does anyone recognize the work? Gun was built in the CostaMesa area of CA for a police officer. Any insight would be great and appreciated, even critcism. Looked good enough to me to buy it though.
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/sho ... adid=70336

· Registered
1,355 Posts
You got ANOTHER nice one! Geez...you must have some psychic connection with these pistols M!

· Registered
57 Posts
Looks like it could be from James Hoag's shop in Canoga Park. I had a gun built by him in the late 80's and he used his own beavertail that looks very similar the that in the picture. The border around the checkering on the front strap looks familiar as well. Hoag used to mark some, but not all, of his work on the underside of the slide, the part that the hammer rides on with simple stamped letters "HOAG".
Bill Go

· Registered
3,552 Posts
Looks like the work of the master smith, Jim Hoag to me...want to sell it :grin:

How about a trade :grin:

I would put money on that bet.

Dick Heinie is lurking on here somewhere, may be he can add his opinion?

· Registered
893 Posts
I'll confirm the Jim Hoag guess. He's done work for me that looks very similar. If that's the case, the price is an excellent one. Lucky guy.

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow. A tremendous amount of thanks to everyone who posted and to those who emailed me privately. I guess there is a reason why I am always constantly checking all the different forums :smile: The current owner did not know who did the work, but thought it might have been King's. I am glad I took a chance on it. I will keep everyone updated on the gun when I get it, and hopefully post some pics if I can find a host besides PhotoPoint. Richard Heinie did indeed email me and if his opinion counts for anything, this does indeed look to be a gun from Hoag's gun works. It was actually my intention before I found out anything about the pistol to address some of the scrapes and wear that are on the gun but not apparent in the pictures. The question now is, would it be better to leave it as is, or have a smith bring it back to 100% condition? Dane if you are willing? You have to promise to send it back however...:smile:

· Registered
272 Posts
That checkered Commander hammer, duckbill beavertail, and the hardball sights look like they came straight out of Jim Hoag's catalogue, if not his shop. Jim's still working out of his shop in Canoga Park, CA. Check with him. If he did the work, I'd let him restore it. Unless there's something really wrong with the finish (not likely, unless the anodizing has been worn through), why bother? It's nice to wonder/ponder on the stories the gun could tell...

· Registered
52 Posts
On 2001-06-19 13:40, MPower wrote:
I picked this gun up last nite and should be getting it next week. It is a LW commander and looks pretty good. Does anyone recognize the work?
First, let me say I don't recognize the work. Terry Tussey used to be in Santa Ana for a number of years until he moved to Nevada. Alan Tanaka (APG) is in So. Cal but I don't think it is his. There is TJ's in Ontario and I think George DiLeo in Fullerton that could do this along with Hoag and Kings. This is just some possibilities I can think of.

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the additional replies. The work has been somewhat confirmed as a Jim Hoag built gun, at least confirmed to my satisfaction. I will be able to take delivery of the gun next week Wednesday as I have had to suffer through Hawaii's 14 day wait period yet again. As soon as I get it home and feild strip/clean it I will post some additional photos of the inside of the gun.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.