Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a Model 52-1 38 wadcutter gun for about 15 years and it has to be one of my most fun guns to shoot. Recoil is mild, accuracy is outstanding, sights are great, and the factory trigger could not be better. All it needs is a barrel weight, but those are extremely hard to find these days.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I shoot a M52 with the old standrd 2.7g Bullseye with 148g cast wadcutters. Bought it from a paper puncher friend who had sent it to Smith because he said it wouldn't shoot. It was new then. They installed a new barrel and sent it back. He still didn't like it and sold it to me for $100. Had Lucky Hallmark build him a .38 on a .45 frame. It shoots fine for me, always has.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The only M52 I've seen have been NIB and they are much to nice to shoot even IF I could
ante-up the 900 or so. If I run across one in 90% I'd proly bite !....dewey

·
Registered
74 Posts
bought a 52 about a year ago, only 50, yes 50 rounds through it. Came in the original box with the unused cleaning kit, 3 mags.,and the original barrel weight. This pistol shoots better than I ever will.
The one problem I hav encountered is finding a reload recipe to cycle the action properly. Have tried many, But just gave up and started using Federal's 148 nyclads. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I had and shot a M52-1, serial # 56XXX, in bullseye competition back in 1968.
I shot the Rem. 148 gr. HBWC with 2.7 gr. of Bullseye powder in a Federal or Winchester case with a R-P small pistol primer.
That gun could shoot far better than I could hold it, that's for sure.
It was once fired in a Ransom Rest at 25 yds. and cut one ragged hole with 10 rounds.
I wish I had that gun back today.
BTW, I paid $130.00 (a lot of money for me then) for it used but in like new condition in the original box with the warranty card and yes, the barrel weight.
It was one of the most ammo finicky guns that I have ever owned.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been shooting a 52-2 for about 10 years, and is the most finnicky pistol I've ever been humbled by. With a 9# recoil spring, Hornady 148 HBWC with 3.0-3.1 gr W-231 shoots very reliably, 2.8 gr Bullseye works equally well. I'm trying the Meister swaged HBWC with these loads (cheaper than the Hornady bullet) and will post results.

I saw a counterweight assembly back in 93 and have been kicking myself since for not picking it up!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.