Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several people on the custom gun forum here have mentioned being at the SHOT show...I was wondering if any visitors to this section could comment at what they saw from Colt?

Thanks!

Brent

·
Registered
378 Posts
I wasn't there, but the guy I know that went said they had some nice stuff. Most of it has already been revealed on teh 1911 forum;

XSE Blue government
70 Series blued Government
Defender Plus (LW Commander frame, Defender slide)
Commercial version of the M4

a few other things, all looked nice, but nothing revolutionary.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Personally I don't want anything revolutionary from Colt. I just want good Colt 1911 pistols. I would like to see a product like the XS again though.

Future Colt products on my purchase list include:

-Government Model, blue
-Commander Model (steel frame), blue
-Concealed Carry Officers (Al frame), no front serrations

plus any other variations that appeal to me later.

Brent, good question phrasing, you got a response where I got nothing on my CCO inquiry so far.

Cheers,

SB

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm with you. The recent reviews for Colt have inspired me to acquire one; the Commander to be exact. As soon as one is available here in Memphis, I will buy it.
Looking forward to owning my first Colt.

J Scott

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
I am a huge Colt fan. But a retro Model 70 for 700+ wholesale....who are they kidding?

I don't care who's name is on the gun if they can't come up to Kimber specs and in the same price range they loose.

Kimber and Springfield are $100 less and gives a whole lot more IMO.

·
Registered
378 Posts
On 2002-02-08 22:19, Dane Burns wrote:
I am a huge Colt fan. But a retro Model 70 for 700+ wholesale....who are they kidding?

I don't care who's name is on the gun if they can't come up to Kimber specs and in the same price range they loose.

Kimber and Springfield are $100 less and gives a whole lot more IMO.
The local store has already sold 5 of them... :razz:

Besides, the 70 series isn't to compete with the Kimber or Springfield, it's an answer to those that have asked for exactly that for years. (As soon as the 80 series came out :smile:

The XSE lacks a couple things, but is more of a comparison for the Kimber or SA. Compared to Kimber Stainless, I think it's a superior gun.
Kimber uses all blued parts inside (whether you care about MIM or not, they're still blue) and the barrel is bare steel. the safety is extended, but I prefer the smaller Colt model. (I also shoot thumb low, instead of riding on top of the safety, and it's easier to sweep with the factory Colt)

I hate both grip safeties, and both sights, but prefer to have 3 dot sights rather than black low mount.

I also prefer the Defender to the Ultra Carry, and prefer the Gold Cup Trophy blue to the Gold Match.

Personal preference of course :smile:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have to admit I have been nothing but pleased (spoiled) with my Kimber Custom Stainless. In a twisted way I am just waiting for something to go wrong and provoke me to send it to Washington for a FED package.

However, in the same breath I really like the Colt’s. The QC is up and coming from past years and they seem to be marketing a nice product line. I handled about a half dozen new rollmark 1991a1’s the other day; I am going to get one.

VoceNoctum, I agree with you on the XSE.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
I like the 1991 and the newer version with better roll marks. They are nice guns.

BUT I also know it takes a hell of a lot of work to get a stock Colt beaten into a nice custom gun. For a whole lot less a Kimber makes a decent custom gun. (ask Bill Wilson)

Some of my personal guns carry the Colt logo but I would have a hard time popping $700 for a new Series 70. I paid less for the last two REAL Model 70's I recently bought :eek:

People will buy aything I quess, even $4K guns from me. A $700 GI version of a 1911 is an easy sell.

My point here is this....the gun they should be selling is a $500 Series '70 (or less). That is what they are actually worth, IMO.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dane Burns on 2002-02-08 23:01 ]</font>

·
Registered
133 Posts
Gee Dane next thing you'll tell us is people are willing to wait 18 months or more for one of those $4K guns :roll:. Oh wait I'm one of those people :wink:, to do some work on it for you at some point.

Robert

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 1911Freak on 2002-02-09 00:30 ]</font>

·
Registered
265 Posts
I think the Colt reintroducing the 70's series is pretty neat, it means they are trying and they are listening to shooters.
I was quoted a price of $819 here in Indy for one, would I buy it if it was going to be a shooter, sent to a gunsmith, NO. Would I buy it as a limited edition, special run of a discontinued model as a collector, YES, if that was what I wanted.
I think that is part of the price hike, limited edition, custom shop gun.
Colt is trying to re-established itself in a market that is very competitive, and they have lost many people along they way by putting out crappy guns and not listening to the shooters. Now it seems that they are trying to win people back, in small amounts, by putting out decent guns and models people have asked for and make a little money on them.
Let's face it Colt probably can't afford to tool up to make 10,000+ 70's series guns to bring the price down to $600-650.
So they are driving up the price by making limited runs without the larger cost, bankrolling that money to help finance other projects...Not a bad move if you ask me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does anyone have any feedback on the quality of the limited run Series 70 (S70)? Is it the same sloppy fit/finish etc. IMO they were producing in the later years just before S80 production? I'm willing to spend the additional $$$ for a NIB S70 if it's of the same quality that Colt is currently offering (minus the Schwartz safety).

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dane:

I think that you have a solid point with the "new" Series 70's pricing, but I think the real silver lining to this is that Colt is listening to it's fans, and that by all accounts quality control is way up. I don't think that the people buying the new Series 70 are going to be picking up a Kimber at the same time for comparison purposes. I watched one being sold to a guy in his early '20s last weekend who clearly just wanted one for what it is- a basic, nicely blued 1911 from the company that kept the 1911 alive for many years by itself..

I think many fans of the 1911 like a loaded gun, be it custom or from a company like Kimber, as well as a more simple gun dating back to the pre-action pistol driven modification days we are all enjoying now. The Series 70 answers that market, as does the WWII repro. Guys like you and companies like Kimber answer the other demand at various ends of that market.

Having said that what Colt needs next is to keep on with the XSE series, add some features- I guess that would make it an XS, and get into the Kimber market as well. Adding the carbon steel XSE is a big step in the right direction, as well as continuing to recognize the CCW market. Next, I hope, will be the return of some of the other great calibers they once offered.

As for the .41 Magnum Anaconda- I'll believe this when I see it! If you catch me in the woods in Novemeber this is the caliber I'm carrying, but while my Colt revolver friends have often dreamed of them offering the .41 (I'm an S&W wheelgunner...please don't flame me!) I still can't believe it.

Anyway, the future is certainly looking better- and clearly if Colt needs some market input there are a lot of opinions from an informed and devoted group right here waiting for them.

Brent

·
Registered
378 Posts
Yeah, the 1970a1 (the 70 series repro, the 1911a1 repro is different) isn't aimed as an entry level gun. It's not priced to compete with the 1991, it's priced to compete with the used 70 series guns out there people are paying 700+ for.

I'm also pretty sure that Colt doesn't WANT to make it their standard cheap model, for the liability of reversing themselves with the S80 parts. If someone that doesn't know the difference looked at the two, they'd take the cheaper 1991, and that's probably what Colt wants.

Besides, I'd take the S80 parts over the Series 2 Kimber parts any time. :smile:

·
Registered
378 Posts
On 2002-02-09 09:13, missionag85 wrote:
Does anyone have any feedback on the quality of the limited run Series 70 (S70)? Is it the same sloppy fit/finish etc. IMO they were producing in the later years just before S80 production? I'm willing to spend the additional $$$ for a NIB S70 if it's of the same quality that Colt is currently offering (minus the Schwartz safety).
The Colt's aren't as tight slide to frame as the Kimber, but they are a lot smoother. The barrel's are very well fit also. The 1970a1 is built to the same specs as the 1991.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I was at the Shot Show. I visited Colt, Springfield, and Kimber (as I own one of each and like them all). I'll start by saying that I was impressed with Kimber and Springfield. There guns were tight, seemed well made, and were free of obvious blemishes. The Colt guns weren't nearly as nice. I looked at several Custom Shop guns that were in the $1400 - $1800 price range. The slide to frame fit was VERY sloppy, and the barrel to slide fit was worse. When you pick your guns to display at a show, I'd think you would pick the best you've got. The Kimber and Springfield base models were miles ahead of Colt Custom, at a fraction of the price. I'm not trying to bash Colt here, as I love the fact that they are the "original" and have so much history behind them, but I expect more of them than what I saw.

With regard to the limited edition 70 series, it was in a case and I didn't get to play with it, but it looked awfully nice.

·
Registered
2 Posts
VoceNoctum, your comment about the 1970a1 being priced to compete with the used 70 series guns out there people are paying 700+ for is on the mark. I realize that there are other 1911's out there with a better value and/or for less money; and that it will probably take more money to make the 1970a1 "flawless". BUT it is a Colt with all of it's history and tradition etc..

I reluctantly moved from the Colt to the Kimber camp many moons ago, but have dreamed of the 1970a1 arrival since then. Once again, I'm in the process of moving the camp - away from the Kimber"II" anything! What a shame. I hope they figure it out before it's too late, but I'm sure the 1970a1 will help take the sting out it....

Besides, I'd take the S80 parts over the Series 2 Kimber parts any time.

·
Registered
378 Posts
On 2002-02-10 09:47, missionag85 wrote:
Besides, I'd take the S80 parts over the Series 2 Kimber parts any time.
Me too, but I can chaulk that up to being 28 I think. Since I've been into guns Colt's have been S80. The S2 is something new and different.
Also, the S2 is directly interfering with grip safety replacement, whereas the S80 is just a couple extra pieces to put back in, and interfer's with nothing for me.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts