Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK who is THE custom AR guy ala Heinie of the AR world. If you were as picky of a guy as I am and knows the difference between good and GREAT, where would you send your AR?

TIA

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dane Burns on 2001-08-13 23:12 ]</font>

·
Registered
59 Posts
Dane, Mike Bykowski of High Performance Intl. in Milwaukee, WI. is supposed to have it together, also a guy in IL. whos name will come to me at about 0300. I'll let you know.

·
Registered
628 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Scott A. Medesha
Tactical Advanced Weapons Systems
P.O. Box 367
Apache Jct., Arizona 85217

TEL: 480-986-5876
Fax: 480-380-7331
email: [email protected]

Never had him do any work for me, but he's got a very good reputation from what I've read. I think Steve (Morrison) might be able to tell you more...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: YeeDude on 2001-08-14 04:22 ]</font>

·
Registered
239 Posts
I had Alan Zitta of ZM Weapons do a trigger job on my IPSC AR, and it was as good as a 1911 trigger. This was in the days before aftermarket trigger sets were available.

I'd seen many of EGW's IPSC AR's, also back in the day when the parts had to be fabricated, and the work was good. They made a comp by adding a baffle to a regular A2 birdcage.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Frank White of Compass Lake Engineering and Scott Medisha are the main guys for DCM/High Power type rifles. For an IPSC type ratgun, call Accuracy Speaks. That being said, my DCM gun is a CLE and all my others are built by John Brandstatter of Roscoes Customs.

New project in the works?

Tom
AF Shooting Team

·
Registered
934 Posts
Depends. Are you looking for a carbine, DCM or precision piece? Kinda like the 1911. Different smiths for different needs.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Man have I been taking some shit about this :grin:

I have an M4 FT with a ACOG CQB on it. It's just fine. My real gun is a SAR Galil. But to be honest I haven't shot it since I bought the M4.

I asked this question on both lists to see if there was a concensus :roll:

I buy ARs to shoot not to work on. I asked the question for one of my "buddies" who is too lazy to ask himself! Hey, Squirrel?

·
Registered
628 Posts
Dane,

Colt M4? Or made by someone else?

·
Registered
209 Posts
On 2001-08-13 23:05, Dane Burns wrote:
OK who is THE custom AR guy ala Heinie of the AR world. If you were as picky of a guy as I am and knows the difference between good and GREAT, where would you send your AR?

TIA
A few people i know have had work done by Kurt @ KKF ( http://www.kurts-kustom-firearms.citysl ... cfm/426610 ) build AR's for them, and have nothing but acolades on his work.

Ed Basile at Gunsmoke is also supposed be pretty sharp.

Both these guys have designed some innovative solutions for certain purposes related to the AR weapons systems. The others that have been mentioned previously also seem to carry a lot of respect within that community.

Dane, with your knowledge, and skill, I would bet that you could build a pretty solid Carbine pretty easily.

All I can tell ya is to get a good trigger in that puppy, it makes all the difference. My rifle wears a Stoner SR25 2 stage, and the Carbine will be getting a Rock River.

Barrels are also a big improvement... Choose wisely Grasshopper :wink:

Enjoy!

G

·
Dave Lauck,
Alan Zitta,
George Smith.

If all else fails and these guys were busy I would purchase another Wilson M4, due to their great warranty/service and low pricing.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: David DiFabio on 2001-08-17 04:57 ]</font>

·
Registered
36 Posts
You guys seem to have hit most of the good AR 'smiths. Bill Wylde is definitely the master...plus he's a hell of a long distance marksman in his own right. Frank White at Compass Lake is first rate, ditto for Albert Turner at Turner Enterprises, Scott Medesha and Derrick Martin. I've heard outstanding things about John Hollinger at White Oak Precision.
A note of caution: most of these guys specialize in "real" service/target rifles. If you go to them asking for a George Jetson-type, tricked out AR with deadly lasers and rails everywhere they are likely to tell you to go elsewhere.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.