Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard a while back that all Kimbers would be made with stainless steel forgings. Even the non-stainless models would be made with stainless steel, and finished in black, rather than using carbon steel. Is this true?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Simple answer no.

SS frames have been used in the past on a very limited basis. AFAIK, Kimber did not keep track of the serial numbers of the frames in which ss frames were used on black guns.

The best way to tell is to use a cold blue pin on a small area of the raceways. If nothing happens, its a stainless frame.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I recently got a Kimber from Dick Heinie, which turned out to have a stainless frame. I was happy with this because I wanted a stainless frame with blued top end. He did his magic on the frame and put night sights on the slide and made me a happy man! The frame was bead blasted and looks great.

·
Registered
407 Posts
A while back Wilson sent back some Stainless frames that where not up to spec to the manufacturer (AKA Kimber). maybe Kimber decided to put these into the cycle in order not to bite the loss.
I must admit that I own one of these matt black Customs with the stainless frame and it is an awesome gun, the only thing that sucks about it is that i cant cold blue areas that are worn off or spots I filed to soften corners.
all the small pins are stainless as well.
Shay

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.