Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i called wilson to set up getting armor tuff put on my springfield, the guy i talked to was rude and acted like he didn't care to help me out. i hope he was just having a bad day. any way when i mentioned that i had dehorned, polished and cut the front serrations and top serrations he said they wouldn't touch it and the conversation was over. is this their common policy? i can understand them not wanting to work on the internals after someone else, but i just wanted the finish. i can even see them calling me and telling me that after receiving my gun and inspecting it that they would need to do more polishing before putting on the finish so it would meet their standards, or even an explanation as to why they cant or wont work on it. but to say we wont touch it goodbye is a bad practice. imo.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
ooooooh...that certainly doesn't sound very nice.

Would there still be some liability issues for just doing the "FINISH"?

Or maybe they WOULD be liable if they re-assembled the pistol...still kinda' cheesy, but if that's policy seems like they'd just politely say so unless there's more to it...

·
Registered
148 Posts
Here's a somewhat related story. I bought a CQB from Terry Peters that he already had in stock. Love the gun but needed an ambi safety and a mainspring housing with mag well to be added to the gun. Called Wilson to ask about doing this. No problem, but the parts added would NOT have the armor tuff coating on them. They had no parts coated with the finnish and he had to stop laughing before he could guess at the time it would take to coat the parts. Apparently, the guns are completely built and then coated. That is very understandable, but you would think they would make some effort to accomadate a situation like this. Other than this incedent and the fact that my gun is rapidly losing its coating, I have been happy with my CQB and Wilson's service on other matters.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Robe on 2001-08-13 23:07 ]</font>

·
Registered
283 Posts
I'm a Southpaw and bought a Protector from Guns, Gifts, and Gadgets (shameless plug for a local dealer). It didn't have an ambi. safety, so after firing about 350 rds. of factory ammo, I sent it back to Wilson's. I asked that they put one of their s/s competition ambi. safeties on and trim the paddles to match the original r/h safety on both sides and finish w/Armor-Tuff to match the rest of the gun. I got it back inside of 2 weeks. Functioning has been flawless except for a couple of bobbles w/185-gr. STHP in the first 20 rds. out of the gun. The black Armor-Tuff finish is still looking like it's about new despite being carried a lot when off-duty in an IWB holster. (Gotta carry a G19 & G-26 on the job.) Only downside was the cost ($160) vs. having the gun built to order w/the ambi. ($50). The people I've dealt with at Wilson's on a number of issues/purchases have been really friendly and courteous with a "can do" attitude. I bought one of their closeout (dark brown was disc.) sharkskin belts. Found that it was smaller/shorter than my Sparks belts of equal length. Thought that I could lose 5 lbs. amd still wear it. No go. (This is what an Overeaters Anon. meeting must be like: I won't lose weight for my health, but just to save $50 on a BELT???!!! Move over, Rosie - and pass them ribs. There isn't that much difference in a 38" or 36" waist.) Anyway, I called them back about three weeks later. I mentioned my plight and how it had helped add years to my life and all - even with Rudy's BBQ being next door to the State Police office I HAVE to go to regularly. They said,"No problem. Ship it back." They even credited back the shipping. I keep buying stuff from 'em and have yet to get a bad product - or anyone having a bad day. YEMV. Regards, Andy.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Andy on 2001-08-14 06:04 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Andy on 2001-08-14 06:07 ]</font>

·
Registered
154 Posts
Doesn't sound like the normal Wilson support. The only prep they do is to sandblast the gun, no polishing otherwise their coating won't adhere to the metal correctly, even with a parkerized base coat. Do you remember who you talked to? The only thing I can think that they would be worried about was the dehorning you did. If you don't have any deep mark from the process, then they can easily blast it and put the coat on, but if you didn't do a near perfect job, then the coat is going to show every flaw you did when you rounded it out.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I'm not positive, but I think their Armor Tuff coating is just KG Gunkote. If that's the case it is overpriced anyway. I have no personal experience with Mac's Shootin' Irons but I hear he does great work, in like a week or two, and he does Gunkote with a parkerizing underneath for a lot less money.
About $115 for the whole thing including internals or around $80 for just the exterior. I think he does green, gray & black.

http://www.shootiniron.com/

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 10mm on 2002-02-28 12:05 ]</font>

·
Registered
283 Posts
robd, did you have them strip the finish and reblue, parkerize, nickle, or hard-chrome the gun for you at no charge? You might want to try having them re-do the gun with their new A-T process that is done over parkerizing. My experience has been that they (Wilson's) will bend over backwards trying to make you happy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.