Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
I prefer the Monadnock Auto-Lock, I like it a lot. I bought the 26", I would get the 21" if you plan on carrying it a lot. Locking system is far superior to smashing an ASP on the deck to close it. I use mine for military use, where silence might be required, but lethal force is not. No ASP training course, just limited military training, not formal, buddy is a Close Combat instructor trainer. Semper Fidelis...Ken M

·
Registered
140 Posts
I am an ASP Instructor, and I prefer it to the Monadnock product. I don't like the "loose" feeling and rattle of the Auto-Lock. As a Police Officer, I have little need for stealth in deploying an impact weapon. As a matter of fact, the sound and sight of the baton being extended has a deterrent effect on occasion. Any of the expandable straight batons are a great item. It is always with you, and is quite simply, a metal pipe. The training is very straight forward. There are no complicated maneuvers like take-downs and armlocks. ASP simply teaches six strikes. Three with an open baton, three closed. I am still certified in the use of a PR24, but that is most often left in the car. The ASP is always on my duty belt.

·
Registered
86 Posts
To each his own:) I certainly wouldn't say you're bad off with the ASP product. Only six basic strikes? Interesting. I'm just doing the informal, learn as I go thing, but I'm applying the same wrist and elbow locks that you can do with other batons with the Monadnock. Plus the straight jab with the tip(various pressure points, jugular notch in worst case) . More options, which might not be good if you wish to keep things simple(big fan of simple things that work) Semper Fidelis...Ken M

G

·
ASP Airweight 21" with Garrity semi-IWB holster for me.
I tried the magnetic tip for about three years and finally pulled it as it is not strong enough to pick up the things I needed and it scratched up pretty badly from all of the closings.

·
Registered
4 Posts
ASP 21" in a monadock holster. Also purchased a monadock mushroom end for it. I really like it and the few times I've used it things ended quickly. Once was a straight baton deployment and the other was after the subject had been seasoned.

I've had both the PPCT class and the ASP class. Personally I liked the PPCT class because it covered all the levels of force.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I took the ASP class last Wednesday. It was very good and enlightening. Now, I just need to decide on a lenght and weight of ASP. I believe the 21" is the best length for concealed carry (extra 5" extended but only 1" longer when closed). Any opinions on Airweight versus standard weight? Will the Airweight hold up if you have to use it?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
On 2001-07-17 08:47, buzz_knox wrote:
I believe the 21" is the best length for concealed carry (extra 5" extended but only 1" longer when closed). Any opinions on Airweight versus standard weight? Will the Airweight hold up if you have to use it?
I agree with the 21" length, as well. I also prefer the standard weight, but I have heard of no reliability/strength problems with the airweight however.

·
Registered
248 Posts
The ASP is ok. The Monadnock is flimsy feeling. The PPCT light weight POS (piece of sh#t) isn't worth the plastic it's made of.
For me I still carry the OPN (Orcutt Police Nunchacu). It requires more training but will deliver an impact that would make ASP wet it's self. The OPN is also very useful in grappling. If I had to use an expandable baton it would be the Winchester. That is a hunk of steel. You extend that an people take notice. It has a handle that is big enough for a man to grip. My Sheriff (Female) took one look at the Winchester and almost drooled. She immediatly instructed me to begin the approval process. It is currently approved for use.

·
Registered
156 Posts
In the past, I've carried: PR24 (6 yrs, found it bulky, yet very effective and useful for many situations); Mondanock 26" straight expandable baton (stout, button lock for ease of closing).

Currently I carry an airweight 21" ASP. I like it very much. Very light, very compact on my belt. I can't understate the importance of those two qualities. If I have to strike someone w/ it, it'll hit probably 50% as hard as a PR24 and maybe 75% as hard as the Monadnock, but it'll still be enought to get the job done.

So what if I have to slam it to close it? Not concerned about that. Also not concerned about silent deployment - the noise it makes gets attention, which, enough of the to matter, makes the person stop what they are doing.

For training, I still use the Monadnock, as it's mure more durable.

SF

·
Registered
159 Posts
I started playing with an ASP years ago at an Arnis instructors class in Seattle. I fell in love with it and bought two right away. Both are 26" and have seen a lot of work. Both have had tail caps replaced and one needs new foam. I have tried the others including fixed length batons and none compare (in my opinion) for ability and quality of manufacture. One way that I have deployed the ASP more than any other is from a closed position with the BG in front of me. When needed it is snapped open for a stomach or sternum strike. The same as I would with a straight baton. Nine times out of ten the BG goes down. If not it is a simple step to continue into another strike for joints etc.

rob e

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.