Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody seen one of these 1911s yet? Is it made truly to the original design sheets on things like grip contour, etc? Quality/fit/finish? My Kahrs are great, so I was wondering if they were making a quality 1911, too. From looking at their website, http://www.auto-ordnance.com, it looks like they're trying to make a GI replica, which I'd be interested in as long as it's well-made. I'd like to get a Thompson M1, too--what a house gun, even though it's semi-auto! But, that thread belongs in long guns. :grin:

·
Registered
407 Posts
from the article in CH it looks like a pretty good gun for $400. could make a nice base gun for some home smithing but untill they build a good reputation it will only be a hot rodded Hugo :smile:

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Good point...I'd rather have a good cast than a crappy anything else...

...no matter where ya' go

...there ya' are...

...BanZai from the 8th

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: gyp_c2 on 2001-09-28 20:02 ]</font>

·
Registered
46 Posts
My favorite Ruger is cast. Perhaps in felt need for brevity I was misunderstood. I have spoked directly to two guys at AO. One guy is an assembly type who said that the cast frames and slides were made in Spain and the U.S. He would not say who in the U.S. made the parts when pressed. Also, he said that they follow J. Kunhausen's book on tollerances yet they have made some secret changes. I do not mind his lack of candor because he did not,in fact,know who I was other than by my word. Later a sales rep. returnded my call and basicly said the same thing as above and added something. He said that AO would bring out a bar stock slide on the cast frame at a later date at a higher price due to the added manufacturing expence. As for Caspian. Gary Smith makes his products here. He tells as much as possible about his products and warrents them. He also sells his blems via an other company in the open light of day. He too makes bar stock parts. I have the utmost respect for Caspian parts and anyone of you can give me some any time. I prefer you include enough to complete a working gun. Last point. For three years I depended on the fitness of a USGI Remington UMC made 1911A1 for self defence while in the Army. In 1968 this gun was shot out and needed creative sighting to hit center of mass even at contact distance. The armors labored over all the guns in invertory. Mine had a great trigger. I shot the gun every chance I had a chance.I belive the frame and slide were cast. A you can see I have lost my since of brevity and retained my temper. My intentiion in the first post was to encourage you look closly at your intention to buy. Best regareds. Calthrop

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
How was the finish on the AO you saw LoneEagle? I remember some of the early AOs I saw years ago had very nice finishes...If they are really trying with these things, might be worth a shot just to check one out. I still haven't seen one around here yet...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Not being smart but I don't how to grade a Parkerized finish. It seemed even and decently done. A blued finish is easier for me to characterize but it looked alright. As far as the Rev. deal, I have no knowledge of this at all. Anyway I bought a Kimber so the A/O is off for a while. Sean

·
Registered
93 Posts
A casterated thompson is not much fun. A 16 inch barrel on a thompson makes the gun as long over all as a 20 inch ar15 because of the forward mounted reciveve. The lack of full auto makes you frustrated. A real thompson is truly fun however.
PAT

·
Registered
896 Posts
On 2001-10-15 17:07, KenBerry wrote:
[quote:1twjijb1]
On 2001-10-12 16:00, dpcdivr wrote:
Just remember the supposed "Rev. Sun yung Moon (sp.)" relationship w/ Kahr... :sad:
Yeah, the company was started by one of his sons. The problem is...?
[/quote:1twjijb1]

As I understand it, Kahr Arms was purchased about 4 years ago by the "Rev." for his 28 year old son. You deal with whom you feel comfortable. I will do the same.

·
Registered
239 Posts
FWIW, Caspian slides are all bar stock, none are cast. They make investment cast frames of high quality, as well as bar stock frames. Cast slides are a poor choice all around, though Caspian's cast frames have an excellent track record.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hey dpcdiver,

Better not read the Washington Post. His church owns that too. Amongst many other businesses.

But, if you ask the younger Mr. Moon, he will quickly tell you that he runs Kahr. It is plain to see that it is his show! He is simply a member of the church that his father is the head of.

And he also knows how to make a good pistol.

·
Registered
896 Posts
On 2001-10-15 20:44, Monty Grubbs wrote:
Hey dpcdiver,

Better not read the Washington Post. His church owns that too. Amongst many other businesses.

But, if you ask the younger Mr. Moon, he will quickly tell you that he runs Kahr. It is plain to see that it is his show! He is simply a member of the church that his father is the head of.

And he also knows how to make a good pistol.
Hey, Monty:
Don't read any newspapers, but instead only read 1911 forums. Heaven knows there's no BS in there! :wink: Again, to each his own. I'll spend my money where I feel it appropriate, as I'm sure you will. I'll also 'tithe' at the church of my choosing, thankyouverymuch. Interesting to note is that, for only a few bucks more, a person can buy a Milspec Springfield. Personally, I'll always ante-up the extra for a Kimber or a P.O., for use as a base. Personal preference. Take care.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Actually, here, the cost for an AO (if you can find somebody who knows what it is) is pretty much the same as a Springfield Mil-Spec. So, a couple months ago, I bought the Mil-Spec for various reasons, not least Dane's "Make mine a Springfield" thread, and the lifetime warranty. It just left me curious about AO's gun, since I can't find one around here to put hands on. However, for CCW, I own/carry a Kahr and so does the wife. Politics/religious oddities notwithstanding, they make a great personal defense gun.

...But my tithes go someplace else! :grin:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Not the Washington Post, he owns the Washington Times. It is an excellent paper. It is the most respected conservative newspaper in Washington and probably the nation. I'm not a Mooney but I am happy to have a paper in Washington that supports gun rights.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.