Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings! This may seem odd, so please bear with me. A good friend was asking about a good auto shotgun for duck hunting in cold weather. He said he wanted one that wouldn't "freeze up", his words. According to the folks he hunts with, automatics would freeze up if you didn't have the right kind. Actually, he kept saying Ruger automatic shotguns would. I told him I had never heard of a Ruger auto, did he mean a Remington? But he said no, the Remmies worked fine. As I said, this is weird and has me a bit bumfuzzeled. He asked about the Winchester Super X-2, supposedly it won't "freeze" either. So, to make a long story short, what is the best auto for duck hunting?

·
Registered
239 Posts
i never heard of a ruger auto shotgun either. most auto shotguns will work fine even in extreme weather, the key is in how the gun is lubricated. when the weather gets real cold less lubricant is better than more.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I checked Ruger's web site and they only make double, so who knows what he is talking about. Thanks for the info on lubes. I'll pass it along.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'm probably going to take a beating for this but IIRC Ruger once made an all aluminum semi auto.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts