Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just returned from touring the Insights training site (under the FAQ section). They recommend both Sigs and Glocks but specifically warn against both brands in their "super compact" forms (and any other caliber than 9mm). Are they really not as reliable as their bigger brothers? I am interested in getting some feed back from folks who have trained a lot with their baby glocks. My guns (not baby glocks-g26/g27) often function well during range drills but will cough during competition and training classes. I tend to accept the Insight guys opinion as they must see a lot of lead heading down range in their training classes but would like to hear from others as well.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have personal experience with two G-27's. approximately 1000 rounds through one and 500 through the other. Not a single malfunction in either gun. This was with 165 and 180 grain FMJ most often, but I also found them reliable with 165 gr. Hydra Shock, 165 grain Ranger SXT, and 180 grain Federal Tactical. I have several friends who carry the G-27 also, and have not seen or heard of any problems with them.

·
Registered
373 Posts
My Glock 26 works flawlessly, with probably 8K rounds through it, and all of the G-26 backup guns that my agency issues also work without a hitch.

I wonder what they have seen at Insights to make them make such a statment...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey TimB,

Have you shot your glock 27 one handed/weak handed extensively? Done any drill with it from awkward positions? Do you shoot IDPA matches with it (shooting with a lot of movement added in)? TimB, thank you for your post and any additional info you can add.

Harlow

·
Registered
218 Posts
Harlow,

I have shot the G27 both one handed and weak handed, although not from any particularly unorthodox positions (sideways or upside down.) I have done a fair amount of shoot on the move drills, but no competitive shooting with them.

All I can say is that my experience with the G27 has been that they are totally reliable. Controlability is another issue though. IMO they have significantly more felt recoil and muzzle flip than a G23, and way more than a G22. This is not as big a deal with 165 grain loads, but I really noticed the difference when I switched to 180 grain ammo. (Fed 180 gr. tactical is a thumper in the G27.)

Best,

Tim

·
Registered
580 Posts
The 26 & 27's have had all were dead reliable. The 30 I had was certainly not even after being given a clean bill of health by a Glock Factory employeed {Smyrna} armorer.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I had a Glock 27 that I relied on for several years as a backup. Two years ago I sold it for reasons unrelated to its reliability. I have missed it ever since, so much so that today I purchased a new one.
I have used the G27 in various drills and found it to be totally reliable. I know several LEOs who have G27s and G26s and use them in various roles -- primary undercover as well as for backups. While I greatly respect the guys at nearby Insight, I can only tell you that all of us think that the baby Glocks are superb. Perhaps the folks at Insight have found them to be less reliable than larger Glocks and that may be true. But in my experience, they are excellent. Given that the babies are huge sellers among federal LEOs, I have to think that they can't be so bad.
But proof is in trying one out in your own likely scenarios and then making your own judgment.
Charles
Seattle

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have two G27's and realy feel that are the idea LE backup gun(allthough I carry a S&W 642 as a BUG), concealed carry gun and off duty gun. My oldest G27 has about 2700 rounds through it, been to Thunder Ranch and all kinds of matches. The few times it has had a hiccup has either operator induced or crappy ammo. The second, bought used doesn't have as many rounds but is just as accurate and reliable. Most of my shooting has been with either 165g Win SXT or PMC ball (165g). The gun is snappy but controllable. The G26 is all of the above with a little more control. The G33 is a Handfull......Stay Safe

·
Registered
326 Posts
The mini Glocks are very reliable. They are optional issue guns for our Detectives and Drug Task Force officers. The only problem I have seen is the occasional cracking or breaking of the sheet-metal guide rod stop in some of the .40s/.357s fired extensively. My advise would be to get a spare guide rod assembly and keep it on hand if you shoot your's alot.

Safe shooting,
Mark Garrity

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have only had one malfunction in my Glock 33 and that was using a 13 round glock 23 mag and firing the weak handed stage of my depts qualify.
PAT

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have about 1500 rounds through my 27 and not one reliability issue. It has digested every round and brand I have fed it, not one problem. Item to note it is my only box stock Glock (try saying that 3 times fast), factory springs, recoil guide rod, connector, release, only add on, Pearce Grip extenders. I would not sell this one, never.

77Bronc

·
Registered
705 Posts
I have 5 Glocks (21,23,27,30, and 35). I have never had the first jam on any of the 5 pistols.

I am definitely having to work on my shooting skills even more with 27 and 30 but I'm getting there. At this point, the 27 is my primary CCW.

Tim

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've put all types of 9mm thru my G-26 with no failues of any kind,this includes wolf,fiocchi,winchester,umc,federal and remingtons.Both hp's and fmj's,+P,+P+,so i've got no reason to believe mini glocks are not reliable,accurate and dependable pistols

·
Registered
515 Posts
In Glocks, the 9mm's seem to be the most trouble-free. I am aware of a G27's recoil spring "system" breaking. It came apart, rendering the gun inoperable. The owner picked up a couple new spring assemblies and marked one distinctly. He uses it for practice sessions and put the unused one back in for carry.

Wolff now makes a replacement recoil spring system for the mini-Glocks. It looks like a very solid setup.

Rosco

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.