Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Next time you think you have had a bad day at work, think about this guy...

Brian is a commercial saturation diver for a dive company out of Louisiana and performs underwater repairs on offshore drilling rigs. Below is an email he sent to his sister. Anytime you think you have had a bad day at the office, remember this letter....True story.

April 1998
Hi Sue,
Just another note from your bottom dwelling brother. Last week I had a bad day at the office. Before I can tell you what happened to me, I first must bore you with a few technicalities of my job. As you know my
office lies at the bottom of the sea. I wear a suit to the office. It's a wetsuit. This time of year the water is quite cool. So what we do to keep warm is this:
We have a diesel powered industrial water heater. This $20,000 piece of $hit sucks the water out of the sea. It heats it to a delightful temp. It then pumps it down to the diver through a separate hose which is taped to the air hose. Now this sounds like a damn good plan, and I've used it several times with no complaints. What I do, when I get to the bottom and start working, is I take the hose and stuff it down the back of my neck. This floods my whole suit with warm water. It's like working in a Jacuzzi.
Everything was going well until all of a sudden, my a$$ started to itch. So, of course, I scratched it. This only made things worse. Within a few seconds my a$$ started to burn. I pulled the hose out from my back, but the damage was done. In agony I realized what had happened. The hot water machine had sucked up a jellyfish and pumped it into my suit. This is even worse than the poison ivy you once had under a cast. Now I
had that hose down my back. I don't have any hair on my back, so the jellyfish couldn't get stuck to my back. My a$$ crack was not as
fortunate. When I scratched what I thought was an itch, I was actually grinding the jellyfish into my a$$. I informed the dive supervisor of my dilemma over the comms. His
instructions were unclear due to the fact that he along with 5 other divers were laughing hysterically. Needless to say I aborted the dive. I was instructed to make 3 agonizing in-water decompression stops totaling 35 minutes before I could come to the surface for my chamber dry decompression. I got to the surface wearing nothing but my brass helmet. My suit and gear were tied to the bell. When I got on board the medic, with tears of laughter running down his face, handed me a tube of cream and told me to shove it "up my a$$" when I get in the chamber. The cream put the fire out, but I couldn't $hit for two days because my a$$hole was swollen shut. I later found out that this could easily have been prevented if the suction hose was placed on the leeward side of the ship.
Anyway, the next time you have a bad day at the office, think of me. Think about how much worse your day would be if you were to shove a jellyfish up your a$$. I hope you have no bad days at the office. But if you do, I hope this will make more tolerable. Take care, and I hope to hear from you soon.
Love, Brian

· Registered
54 Posts
If ya'll don't hear from me for a few days it's because I laughed so hard I cried and the tears shorted out my key board!!!
Not really but that was hilarious: Joey Sanders
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.