Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After much consideration and perusing of this forum and the 1911forum I decided to buy a Baer TRS. I decided on a blue one and ordered it through Al Yoast. He was an easy guy to deal with and I would buy through him again.

The gun came in a plain brown box which is not as exciting as the case the Wilson CQB comes in but I knew that before ordering it.

The Baer was in a plastic bag and once I wiped the shipping snot off of it, it shore was purty!

I took it to the indoor range I have access to at about midnight and ran 100 shots through it just to see how it acted. It was one box of 230 gr CCI blazer and one box of 230 gr American Eagle. No problems at all and no FTF or FTE.

Today I took the new baby out and ran 500 through it. I never cleaned it from the prior 100 but still no FTF or FTE or any problems in that area. I shot all 230 gr ball ammo. Speer, CCI, Federal and American Eagle. I used two Wilson Combat 47 mags, two Mcormick power 8 mags and the three mags from Baer that came with the gun. No problems with any mags but I do like the Mcormick power 8s best for this gun. For my Kimber I like the Wilson better for some reason.

I seemed to shoot to the left and a bit low which is consistent with not using he finger pad that is from the tip pf the trigger finger to the first joint. I concentrated on using the trigger finger correctly and was more accurate. I believe my long scrawny fingers do not fit the gun well.

When I bought my Kimber Custom I put some Hogue wrap around grips on it and it shoots a group about the size of a pop bottle at fifteen yard free hand. Point is I am thinking about putting those ugly grips on the Baer and see how it performs. I hate to do that to the baby but I have to be able to perform with it not just look pretty.

I did notice a little burr on the right side of the front sight when I started shooting and I have that rubbed off. When I took the Baer apart for cleaning I noticed the little hollow guide rods end looks like it is ground on one side with a grinder or something. I will order a different one tomorrow.

I will let you know how the weapon performs with differsnt grips. So far I like the weapon but I do not think it is worth a grand more than I paid for my Kimber. I am kind of dissappointed with hte burr and the poor quality guide rod.

Sorry so long but I was hoping that people who were trying to decide on what gun to buy would like the info.

techo

·
Registered
270 Posts
Sounds like a good pistol overall. I have been considering purchasing one, but wasn't sure. You would think if Clint Smith would let LB smear their name in with Thunder Ranch it would have to be fairly good.

What about the slim grips that come on the pistol? Any good. I am 6', weigh 250lbs., but have small hands for a guy my size. They sound like they amy be alright.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you have smaller hands then the grips that come with it would be perfect. I did put the Hogue wrap around grips on it and I can darn near write my name. The gun is way more accurate than I am. I was still a bit put off by the poor quality guide rod but I am putting in a full length guide rod anyway.

It also has a 3.75 lb trigger that I have to get up to four lbs in order to carry as a duty gun.

Anyone have any suggestions on a decent pair of grips that look nice but will still fill my hand?

techo

·
Registered
350 Posts
Before I say any of this I need to start off with this statement: I give you my word I am not trying to be a smart ass here and I recognize that it is your gun and you should do whatever you see fit to it. With that said: I think the reason you paid a thousand bucks more for the TRS is so that you would know that this gun has been specially fitted, the parts have been mated together to function well. I ordered a TRS and it is the only gun I have ever felt sentimental about in over 18 years of shooting and buying guns. I really liked mine, but here is the deal on this as I see it - Before I ordered mine I actually called Thunder Ranch and left a message asking if they really believed that the TRS was the best thing going. I told them that to me 1450 bucks was a whole lot of money and I just wanted to know if they could take the time to drop me an e-mail that said "Yes" or "No". I get a call the next day from Heidi Smith and she speaks to me about the gun for about 20 minutes. She has seen quite a few go through the school and the ONLY ones that have ever choked were two of them. One of them the owner had installed a full length guide rod in and the other had changed some parts. So my point here is this - I believe the parts have been mated so that they will work optimally together, If it were me, it is not me, but if it were me - I would not change anything on that gun. If I wanted a FLGR I would send it back to baer and have him put it on.

By the way, I said that I "liked" my baer, acutally - I loved it, but I sold it for the same reason you are talking about here. I sold it to my good friend (Duke Hansen on the board) as I wanted just a few things changed. Instead of changing that gun I decided to have Dane build me the one I want. I hope it works as well as the TRS did, to me it couldn't work any better, but this one will have the few minor changes that I want on it (GI safety, no forward serrations, the wave instead of checkering, Heinies black on black instead of the baer fixed sights. Whatever you decide, more power to you and I hope it works out great for you, but I would be afraid to start pulling out and dropping in parts on such a finely tuned pistol.

Okay, I am pulling on the asbestos long johns, the motorcycle helmet is now on - bring on the flames gentlemen.

Good shooting
Jake

·
Registered
242 Posts
Jake Salyards, I couldn't agree with you more! Your assessment of the TRS is spot on. It is absolutely worth the asking price. I love mine, it's the best pistol I own.

techo, I would call Baer before I replace the guide rod. I will have to look at mine, but IIRC the bevel is supposed to be there. I recognize it's your gun but, Hogue wrap around grips over the 30lpi front grip strap checkering? :???:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input! Please let me know on the bevel for the guide rod. I do not like the wrap around grips(looks) but the other option was cutting off the tip of my finger! It was a hard choice but I do need my finger tip for other things. Like scratching the top of my head when I am puzzled.

With the larger grips I shoot dead on...with the nicer looking wood panels I shoot left and a bit low.

I sure do appreciate the comments and input. I brown bagged it for a while and dug pennies out of the car seat in order to get this one.

techo

·
Registered
283 Posts
Try some standard size grips or have Hogue, Spegel, or Ahrends make some up that are a little more "handfilling". You might also have Baer fit an arched m/s housing to your TRS.

G

·
I put Kim Ahrends double diamond Cocobolo grips on my TRS w/ new Baer grip screw bushing.
The next day I walked into a shop I don't visit very often and found a very clean ASP with the original plastic shoulder rig, new in the wrapper grip panels and four spare mags. The result was that the TRS sadly changed hands.

What can I say, I have owned a few tons worth of 1911s but ASPs are hard to come by.

I did like the TRS with those grips though.
Good Luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.