Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need professional help,

I understand that the barrel locks-up in the slide with the two lugs forward of the chamber. But how important is the hood to breech-face fit? Should the barrel hood fit tightly against the breech-face or should there be some clearance, like .001" or more. What about the sides of the barrel hood? Should there be any clearance there? Does the fit in this area allign the barrel within the slide for consistant lock-up? Or should there be a few thousands clearance? Is it too much to ask the gunsmith to keep tolerances in these areas to within .003" ? Thanks for any input.

Ralph

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
On 2001-10-28 19:52, rhyrlik wrote:
I need professional help
Most of us here do. Unfortunately it's usually not the type of help that a gunsmith can provide! :grin:

I'm sure one of the guys can answer your question - I would, but I'm already late for my group therapy session. :wink:

·
Registered
11 Posts
...This is one of those you can't win questions, but I will tell you how I do it.
On my personal guns I have the hood touch the breechface "barely", but not enough to interfere with the unlocking, and then I set the chamber depth(headspace). After setting the headspace, then on bullseye guns add.002" from the breechface, and on tactical guns add .005" if the shooter has concerns about clearance for debri...
Barry

·
Registered
403 Posts
rhyrlik,

This and many many other questions are explained very nicely in Kuhnhausens two books on the 45. They make a great reference libraby all by themselves.
Your into a pretty technical area where people have the room to play a bit with tolerances, not a whole lot, but some. This one of those fitting things where you make some compromises in the area of reliability vs accuracy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.