Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In anticipation of my custom HP, does a BarSto or other match grade barrel help accuracy a lot? I've heard that it helps the longevity more than accuracy in a HP and is not as effective in increasing accuracy as it does in a 1911 pistol. Any input appreciated!

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Hello. In two of my older HPs, fitted BarSto bbls did get them grouping a bit tighter than the factory bbls. In my current MkIII HPs in 9mm, accuracy with the factory bbl has been uniformly good such that I've felt no need to replace the bbl.

I flat do not know the answer to the "longevity" portion of your question.

I have noted that if you wish to shoot cast bullets in the HP, the Barsto bbl's do seem to group better, probably due to a difference in that bbl's 1:16 twist compared to the factory bbl's 1:10.

Best.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I have a Bar-Sto barrel in my BHP.40. I won a gift certificate in a match and was as delighted as could be. However, the drop-in barrel they sent didn't drop in. I called Bar-Sto and they asked that I send the pistol to them for proper fitting. Great! They fit the barrel and turned it around pretty quickly. It was remarkably accurate when it returned.

But...the .40 that had fed anything and everything for several years without a failure to feed, fire or extract suddenly became the least reliable gun that I owned. Wouldn't feed worth a damn, jamming up on the feed ramp, denting the noses of jacketed bullets and stovepiping regularly. It took another trip to the gunsmith to get it running right again.

So I have mixed feelings about Bar-Sto. I know that a lot of great gunmakers think the world of them, but my experience has led me to be more cautious about any modifications to my gun.

Chad

1 - 3 of 3 Posts