Pistol Smith Forum banner

Base Gun for Custom Work

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Stephen A. Camp 
#1 ·
I am going to order a custom gun soon, and though the desire for a full-house 10mm has infected me for a very long time, all of a sudden I realized I know a lot more about guns than shooting.

Anyway, I am considering satiating my current whims with a BHP as the calibre is both more sedate and much cheaper, and the gun would be too. (Perhaps $1400 instead of $2000+). Though that beautiful 10 is not yet out of the running...

What should I look for in a base gun? What year? The Israeli models were interesting because of their MkII slides with MkIII frames, but are they sturdy enough to base that much effort and expense in? I can take the time, within reason, to find out whatever is best.

(As an aside, which would you take, the 10mm 1911 or the 9x19mm BHP? I am moving to Alaska, and one of my concerns is the heavy clothing may mess with 9mm (anybody make a 147gr +P+?), at the same time, if I shoot it better... sigh :smile: )

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: telackey on 2001-10-11 13:34 ]</font>

#2 ·
My choice was & is the garden variety MK III with the current frame metallurgy. No sense in paying for extra's up from the base model if you're going "Full-House"?

http://www.browning.com/products/catalo ... _mark3.htm

Would take a BHP in 9 or .40 any day over a 1911 {in 10mm}. Not a knock on the 1911 either.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Pistolero on 2001-10-10 20:44 ]</font>

#5 ·
According to Kurt Wickmann, the best production years he has seen are 1988, 89 and 90. I bought a NIB 1989 and sent it to him for a complete Entry Pkg. The way I usually explain the outcome is, it's a shooter....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.