Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can a barrel bushing be fitted if the 'smith only has the top-end of the gun? I'd like to save a few bucks on shipping and I'm thinking I can legally ship a slide/barrel assembly as "machine tool parts" rather than having to claim it as a firearm and pay the higher air-freight charges. Also,the package will be lighter without the frame in the box.After all,why send it for the ride if it's not necessary?
This will be on a Series 70 Colt .38 Super,using the stock,original barrel and replacing the collet bushing.
Thanks for the time to answer.

·
Registered
27 Posts
This may be another option if you need to ship the entire gun: ship the slide/barrel in one box & the frame assembly in another.

Not sure if it would save you any money; also not sure if the frame alone would be considered a firearm.

Or, take it to your dealer & see if he'll ship it via USPS.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is this really a hard question to answer? I know a little about working on 1911s and the only thing that I can think of that might be a problem for a pistolsmith is possible binding of the bushing skirt when the barrel links down.
Rosco,your idea sounds the most reasonable but this IS Pistolsmith.com,right? Was kinda thinkin'(hoping) I might get one of the pros here to say if that's something they have done or would do.With the cost of shipping getting so high,I thought this might be one way to get a few things done to a pistol without having to ship the whole thing.I need a set of sights on my Colt and thought as long as the 'smith had the slide,why not ship the barrel and get a bushing fitted at the same time?
I'd rather have to replace a slide and barrel that got lost in shipping than have to replace the whole gun. Have heard that collecting insurance on items lost in shipping can be a PITA,if not impossible.
Think of this,you professional gunsmiths, a package deal consisting of a set of sights,a tuned extractor,polished breechface,fitted target bushing,forward serrations,lowered ejection port,refinish,etc. You could call it a "Top-End Special". Guys could ship their slides and barrels directly from home without the hassle and expense of shipping a "firearm".

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Gamblin'Gus on 2001-06-28 01:57 ]</font>

·
Registered
58 Posts
On 2001-06-28 01:37, Gamblin'Gus wrote:
"Is this really a hard question to answer? I know a little about working on 1911s and the only thing that I can think of that might be a problem for a pistolsmith is possible binding of the bushing skirt when the barrel links down."

If you want a match grade fit, I would suggest that you send the complete gun. If a slightly looser fit is acceptable, then what you propose is do-able. After I fit a new bushing to the slide and barrel, I typically have to do additional fitting and polishing after I put them together with the frame. I’m not saying it’s impossible, just that IMO you’ll have a better-finished product if your ‘smith has the complete gun, rather than just the upper.

"I need a set of sights on my Colt and thought as long as the 'smith had the slide, why not ship the barrel and get a bushing fitted at the same time?"

If you’re having adjustable sights installed, then you’re all set. If you were doing fixed sights, without being able to test fire the completed gun, I would be guessing as to the correct height for the front sight. If you are willing to take on the elevation adjustment, your idea is still do-able.

"I'd rather have to replace a slide and barrel that got lost in shipping than have to replace the whole gun. Have heard that collecting insurance on items lost in shipping can be a PITA, if not impossible.
Think of this, you professional gunsmiths, a package deal consisting of a set of sights, a tuned extractor, polished breech face, fitted target bushing, forward serrations, lowered ejection port, refinish, etc. You could call it a "Top-End Special". Guys could ship their slides and barrels directly from home without the hassle and expense of shipping a "firearm"."

The package you describe above would run about $425.00 for non-tritium Heinie Slant Pro’s –w- D/T front, a reliability package, front serrations, fitted match bushing, lowered port and refinish in blue. This is not a quote, just an off the cuff round number. It costs about $30.00 one-way to ship and insure for UPS next day air. If I were spending my money, I would rather spend ~ $60.00 more (14% of the cost of the work) and know that the gun has been test fired and had the sights regulated. Just my opinion…….
Best Regards,
John

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: John Harrison on 2001-06-28 08:50 ]</font>

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow,John-I didn't realize that sight installation was so "gun specific",that is, I was under the impression it was a straight forward,cut & mount type of deal. After you ran the numbers for the slide work as compared to the shipment cost I can see where my idea isn't really the hot ticket.At least for a guy wanting that much work done to his pistols' top-end pieces.
I recently made a change in my employment status(traded making money for having my life back),so I've been getting into the low-buck,save-a-buck mindset. Thanks for showing me the false economy of sending just a pistol slide for 'smithing work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.