Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This came from the 1911Forum: and this thread
http://www.1911forum.com/ubb/Forum8/HTML/002326.html

I believe Dane says something in a post about making the hammer thicker in case it was dropped it would not break. I've seen several guns dropped and land on the hammer and I've never seen a hammer break in the area where the hammer was made thicker. However I have seen hammer hooks chipped or broke, mostly on hooks that were cut to thin and some MIM hammers. I would be more concerned with the thickness and height of the hammer hooks on the Burns hammer. I also thought the parts were priced a little on the expensive side. An STI tool steel hammer cost $44.95 and you get three styles to choose from. Their S-7 tool steel sear cost $19.95 and their disconnector cost $14.75. These are all good quality parts also one might check with EGW I'm sure they have good quality parts that would be comparable in price with STI.
Regards, Bob Hunter, pistolsmith

First let me admit the BCP Ignition system is expensive! You can buy a MIM set for $20!

The cost of the alloy steel used alone is double that of normal steel.

The only OEM (original equipment manufacture) that is using that steel alloy makes parts for a number of us in the industry including C&S, others and myself. Some of us have proprietary designs. The BCP hammer is one of those designs.

I have indeed seen ultra light weight hammer designs from several manufactures crack from shooting let alone hard use. ( but the discussion of durability and hard use by passes so many pistolsmiths that is a topic all by itself if you see carbon fiber triggers, and dbl cross slotted hammers on a gun) The BCP parts have a LIFETIME warrenty if unaltered ( that does NOT mean unused). The hammer hook specs on a BCP hammer would make any GI armorer happy. I build for hard use and durablity. Cost and time aren't an issue for me on my own guns or my customer's.

I find it interesting that other smiths, who don't offer parts, condemn the price of a great set of parts without even trying them. It takes a skilled set of hands and eyes to get a good trigger from some of the parts mentioned in the previous posts, and some very good ones indeed to get a durable trigger from any of them.

The BCP Ignition set came from my desire to have the very best available to build on. I am assured that I do have them. Ned Christianson and Dick Heinie have sets from the first available and I believe they agree. When anyone who can detail strip a 1911 can get a good trigger which is durable from these parts it's amazing. Guys like Ned and Dick can do even more with them.

Bottom line is you can get a durable as well as a perfect trigger with little effort.

As a comparison to my prices; C&S offers similar parts, a hammer @ $83.95, the sear [email protected] 47.25 and the disconnector @ $27.25. I offer what I am convinced is a better set for a carry gun and priced @ $145 which includes shipping. $30 + less C&S's retail and better! I shoot I also know what a "fair" price is for a shooter.

There are any number of manufactures making parts under this price point. Any dirirect comparison to the quality of the alloy and the fit and finish are in direct line with the prices charged.

I don't aften say, the "Simply the Best". The BCP Ignition system and the Alessi GWH are.

When any gun maker comes up to those designs and production values I'll be buying his guns.

These parts are just one of many that I am going to have made to better the quality of the guns I produce. When I get them, I'll make them available to everyone.

Price is important and I am not going to waste my money :roll: Remember I buy every set before I can resell it. I am not Nordstrums! It is important to me to have the very best available for my craft. It obviously isn't to everyone.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dane Burns on 2001-11-22 18:42 ]</font>

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Dane do you have a plentiful supply of these
sets on hand right now?
Also, I know you prefer the Videcki trigger,
but how do you feel bout the STI carbon
fiber/titanium trigger?

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have dozens of sets left and another full order on the way shortly. The response and feed back has been exceptional and exactly what I expected.

I am not a fan of the carbon fiber trigger. I think it is too fragile. The titanium bow is below the quality of the better stainless bows available.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Dane I agree, the parts that you sell are simply the best in the market right now. I have the BCP ignition system installed on my Kimber Eclipse and it significantly improved the trigger pull and not to mention the comfort of having quality tool steel parts in your favorite 1911...

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Glock Racer.

I should have saved Ned Christianson's comments but in general I think he agrees that they are good parts.

This just recently from Dick Heinie :

Ok. Its my turn to do a little stroking.
I have been using C&S Hammer, Sear, and Disconnetors for quite a while, and I might add, I have been very happy with them. The BCP Parts are very Similar, as they should be, they are made by the same place. I do see a difference in the external finish on the BCP parts. it is much smoother. They actually feel slippery. Also I am told by Dane that the Material is different, this I know is true mainly because the C&S parts will take a blue and the BCP parts won't. I like the thicker walls around the slot in the Hammer. I have seen others break. I have not had any from C&S break, but I have had others that have.
I had a recent built Pistol at an LE Conference early in the week, I allowed several people to look at the Pistol. It has BCP Ignition parts. Many were asking what the trigger pull was. Most thought it was 2#, while in fact it really is more like 3 1/4#.
Now don't get the feeling that I just dropped these in. I did not. I don't consider any of these parts to be drop in. However many will be able to just drop them in and get an acceptable trigger pull.
Will I quit using C&S Parts? No. Will I continue to use the BCP? Yes. Will I charge more? Bet on it. Will I use them in my own Pistols? You can bet on that also.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.