Pistol Smith Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

· Registered
3,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

A order of tool steel BCP hammers, sears and disconnectors have arrived and are available for immediate shipment. These can be "drop in" parts for the home builder with awesome results or the very best parts for a custom maker like myself. There are none better available today.

BCP Hammers retail for $80
BCP LWT Sear $45
BCP Fluted disconnector $26

BCP "care package", hammer, sear and disconnector ready to drop in the gun is $140 from http://www.carryguns.com

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dane Burns on 2002-05-29 09:37 ]</font>

· Registered
74 Posts
VERY Nice looking parts Dane, Can you please give us a bit more details on them.

Thanks

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-- Benjamin Franklin, 1759

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Frank Sottile on 2001-09-18 18:17 ]</font>

· Registered
3,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The parts are aircraft grade alloy tool steel, CNC and EDM machined, R7+ finished. Disconnector and sear are both lightened for durability and clean trigger pulls. Rc is 54-56 on all the parts. As a drop in kit, the parts will generally give you a 3.5# trigger. A durable 2# trigger isn't a big problem if you know what you are doing. The majority of guns I build take a 3.75# to 4# trigger and these parts give an exceptional break and durability to a high grade carry gun at that weight.

Hammer is built as a hard use item, that if per chance you drop the gun, the hammer spur would not get broken and the gun will remain usable.

(take a look at the fragile, dbl flange hammers or the razor thin lightening cuts on some Commander styles)

Similar (but not yet equal to) parts are available from other manufactures and makers. As far as I know, no other maker has gone to the expense to put the very best materials and workmanship into a set of parts made to be used in self defense guns. If they had I would be buying them. It is more cost effective. The quality of materials and labor on the BCP set are generally relegated to race gun parts, which may or may not be, something you would want in a carry gun. (In my case the disconnector and sear come from race gun technology, (read DURABLE) as does the fit and finish of the hammer. The hammer's cosmetic design however comes directly from the serious, hard use on a street gun and my ability to be a klutz. I.E., I have dropped my piece on occasion)

The reason I have invested a good deal of money and time in this project is that the quality of the parts I wanted to use in my own guns was not yet available. I spared no expense to get what is currently the best available IMO. So good that I offer a 100% replacement/refund warrenty on the unaltered parts if you aren't satisfied.

They are good enough that I will be upgrading my personal carry guns ASAP. I used the best parts available at the time they were built. The guns are now due an upgrade.

The last one they will ever need.

Same idea behind the Alessi GWH or the "WAVE". I want the best. If it isn't available, I'll have it designed & manufactured if need be.

(I don't guarantee the sear will fit a Kimber or any other thumb safety with no fitting. That one is a surprise to me from Shay's post below.)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dane Burns on 2001-09-18 21:02 ]</font>

· Registered
388 Posts
I got one of these sets last week and dropped them in to a kimber, trigger break, feel is awesome and I get a consistent 3.25 break (on a trigger gauge). I had Dane do the care package on mine so there are no sharp edges on the hammer and the sear/hammer are fitted properly. From now on any 1911 I have will have this set.
Another nice thing is the kimber safety fit the new sear just a bit tighter then stock, gives a nice solid click on now, makes sure that sear is locked.
Any kimber owner should get this set as insurance, and dump the MIM parts.

Shay

· Registered
939 Posts
Made this upgrade on a Kimber, and the parts are awesome. Now, to get the rest of the 1911's converted. Dane, please hold 2 sets of the "care package" for me, will talk with you when I get back later this week.

Thanks

· Registered
3,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FWIW the CMC EDM tool steel hammer and sears have been until now my mainstay parts. Been using them since the late '80s. I was going to stop using them because the original BCP parts were so much better in every way. The $ investment stopped me from doing this on a large scale sooner. The CMC EDM parts being discontinued made the transition and investment a non issue as my inshop stock of CMC EDM parts dwindled. I have three CMC hammers and sears sets left :grin:

Just put a fourth in a gun tonight.

I have plenty of the BCP sets to keep me busy for some time to come.

Bottom line comparison...15 years newer technology on production......there is no comparison in quality, DESIGN or function IMO. I know the CMC EDM stuff was good. I have CMC parts in all my guns now and in many that I have built. These new BCP parts are a good deal more expensive and a great deal better in overall quality IMO.

While I did make a healthy cash investment in these hammer sets, I would have never done it if I didn'think it was better than anything available currently. Look around, there are any number of good quality parts to choose from. I am still a shooter first...pistolsmith 2nd. I wanted the best for my own guns and my own use.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dane Burns on 2001-09-19 01:37 ]</font>

· Registered
71 Posts
I noticed that the set doesn't come with a sear spring. Which one do you recommend?

I'm assuming that this is a true drop-in trigger group in that the sear has the correct breakway angle and is polished, the hammer and the sear are mated, and the hammer hooks are squared and polished. Am I correct?

Why the fluting on the disconnector? I'm guessing it's to help lubrication.

BTW, this set is something I'd really be interested in. If it's a true drop-in, I'll be ordering it very soon.

· Registered
3,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
NOTHING on a 1911 that is worth a shi* is truly "drop in". Sear springs do have to be tweaked, polished and set. With a reasonable sear spring, I use Wolfe, the trigger system is better than anything available. All the contact surfaces are prepped and ready to shoot.

Will this system make a great trigger pull out of any 1911, built to GI spec? Yes, no question.

The fluting is to lighten, and hence, speed up the disconnector, which gives the gun maker several advantages when doing a trigger job.

· Registered
709 Posts
Dane, thanks for the comparison with CMC EDM hammer and sear.

I was particularly interested because I wrote the original article in Front Sight Magazine introducing the CMC EDM hammer and sear (with great close up photos I must add). Virgil and Chip had just come out with them then. I have used them since with great results.

Your picture shows the high quality of your "ignition system." Bet you sell a bunch. I'll get in line soon. :smile:

BTW, thanks again for the great grip reduction on my Glock. A great improvement.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tonerguy on 2001-09-19 01:12 ]</font>

· Registered
3,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Vedecki...and by all accounts they have indeed stopped production. I bought enough of them that my work will be using Vedecki's into the forseeable future :grin:

Before anyone asks...I am not selling
them :sad:

Nowlin also makes a good trigger. It would be my next choice.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dane Burns on 2001-09-19 12:20 ]</font>

· Registered
626 Posts
Videcki has quit making triggers? Eeeeeeeek!

Mr. Burns, I have 2 questions:

I need (2) of your care package prepped sets. How do I order?

How are the Baer triggers? They appear very similar to the Videckis.

Thank you.

· Registered
3,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Pay Pla is the fastest and easiest way to do the a transaction with BCP/me. Try http://www.burnscustom.com and click on the PayPal banner in the upper left corner.

I do know that the LB frames have a very..VERY tight trigger race way. It sucks fitting a Vedecki in a LB frame. I would suspect the LB triggers are a similar size, ie. smaller than normal. But I have never fitted a LB trigger so I am guessing. Check out the home builders on the forum and ask what kind of luck they have had wth LB parts.

I KNOW Nowlin has a good part.

· Registered
3,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Full meal deal for your son, Andy. I know he'll be able to take advantage of a quality piece. Now on your project Andy, I am undecided...I think I have some old Essex parts around here some where :roll:

I think you are getting the same stuff Cosby is last I looked :grin:

· Registered
1,445 Posts
That is really unfortunate about Videcki. I even liked how they serrated the trigger pad better than the competition. :sad:

· Registered
3,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here is the best example of the difference between finish and quality of similar parts.
BCP hammer on the left, another makers part on the right which retails at the same price point although it costs no where near the same from the OEM.

If you can see it here think what the hammer hooks and sear nose looks like in comparison.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dane Burns on 2001-09-23 18:34 ]</font>

· Registered
3,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I sure don't want you to squander those rare CMC parts.
The original CMC tool steel EDM hammers and sears are extrememly good parts. Don't be confused with those and teh current CMC MIM stuff. No comparison in quality, durability or cost. At one time the EDM CMC stuff was the most expensive and best parts on the market IMO.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.