Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I was wondering what kind of handgun the readers of this forum use for a beater gun or if they use their every day carry gun. I did have a Taurus pt111 that I did not feel too bad about leaving in my truck, boat,tackle box or surf fishing bag. After reading so many bad post on the pt111 I lost confidence in it ,even tho mine had been faultfree for about 500 rds. I bought an old HP 35 to use then ended up sending it of to Kurt Wickman so I wont be using it. I am currently using a SS Ruger Security Six with 2 3/4" barrel But am thinking of an auto in a little smaller package so any ideas would help.
Thanks
Gerald

·
Registered
58 Posts
I just picked up a used Glock G30 just for this purpose. Traded in an old Dan Wesson revolver that, surprisingly was not reliable. I don't feel too bad about abusing it, and am confident it can take the abuse as well. Maybe I will send it to Dane fo ra grip reduction soon.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I pretty much stick to my carry gun for most activities, although if I was really going to get down and dirty, I'd probably carry my FEG Hi Power. At $199, I wouldn't be heartbroken if I somehow totally trashed it.

G

·
I destroyed a nice Model 1917 by having it made into a "Booney Gun." It has a trigger job done, hard chrome, and a nice set of grips. I guess this fits the bill.

I kept thinking about this topic and so I post again(edit.) Every damn beater I have ever bought has been a winner and I have then fixed them up. Ergo, no more beater! I did this with the FM High-Power, two Norinco 1911A1s, etc.

Regards,

Richard

Spackler, how the hell are you? I haven't seen much of you at the Shooters board lately. Are you Stephen A. Camp and my latest convert? This seems like a kinder and gentler board. RLO

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Richard on 2001-05-10 00:11 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Richard on 2001-05-10 04:02 ]</font>

·
Registered
63 Posts
I guess I'm fortunate to live where I do as so far I've been able to leave anything in my truck that I wanted too. Right now in my truck is a ruger stainless blackhawk in 45 colt,wilson 1911, springfield 1911
2 ruger mk2's a 27 glock and a s&w 625.
That after setting here putting it in words appears not a good thing to do, I think I'll go out there and bring in a couple or three. JS

·
Registered
218 Posts
Hey Richard,
I don't remember how I stumbled onto this place, but I like it. Lots of great forums and knowledgeable folks. I was glad to see familiar names like yours and Stephen A. Camp's.
I haven't been to shooters.com too much lately. I check in to the yahoo shooters downtime room for the chat once in a while.

G

·
I love this topic. Why? It shows what kind of guy I am! Another beater I couldn't leave alone was my Star BM. I paid $125 for it and it is a police trade in from Spain. My intent was to use it as is as a house gun(beater). Did it stay that way? No, it had a trigger job done and hard chrome. It is now beautiful.

Here, in the Great Lakes area, there is a saying that: "a boat has a hole in the bottom so you can put your money in it and it goes straight into lake Erie." Well, firearms are the same to me. They are a bottomless pit I keep trying to fill with my money.

Regards,

Richard

·
Registered
9 Posts
Let me suggest that a Makorov is both a find gun and is perfect as a "beater" gun. The price is usually right ($150-$200 depending), they are extremely reliable, and are pretty darned accurate too. Give makorov.com a look. You can learn a lot and they are a great little gun.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Every gun I own is a "beater".Why save them for the next guy? They're only new before the first shot.If You like them,shoot them.tom.

G

·
BBBBill, you are right abbout the size of the BM. It really isn't much bigger than a Walther PP pistol. I do not know if he still has it but Stephen A. Camp has/had one and shared our opinion. Regards, Richard

·
Registered
89 Posts
At the gunshow, I find many beaters.

Also surplus in Shotgun News.

At pawn shops, I make obnoxiously low offers if anything is wrong with the piece.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Shotgun news has used S&W Model 65 .357 mag, 4 in SS for $179. Can't be beat for a beater or tackle box gun.

·
Registered
79 Posts
A guy on 1911forum was referring to 1927 Argentine Sistema Colts as fine beater guns. For the price, the ones I have seen are fine guns, but cheap enough to be beaters if you like.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My beater gun is a rossi M-971 357 mag,SS with a 2 1/2" barrel,it does not get shot a lot,just enought that i know it works.Perfect for quick trips to 7-11 plus its my apartment gun.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Got it from my Aunt for $57 10 years ago. Total beater Charter Arms Undercover 38 Special

postban out

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just found this forum about a week ago -- I see this is an old subject just wanted to add my .02 -- I carry a Glock 23 (CCW) but my beater is an old Colt DS .38 spl. loaded with +P rounds. It's old and worn but it works and it works everytime.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts