Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Generally speaking, close inspection of high-wear surfaces will tell the story here, unless the gun is used, but essentially unfired. While this seems like common sense, there are a few variables to consider: for example, different guns show early wear in different places, and some manufacturers seem to do a lot more proof testing at the factory than others.

In autos, look at the breechface, hammer, ejection port and magazine well for starters. (If there is more than one example of a particular model in the display case, you may ask to see a few of the others for comparison.) If the gun has fired more than 100-200 rounds, you should definitely be able to seel evidence of it in these areas; if not, then the gun is probably worth the money no matter how it's being advertised. Since condition is everything, a pristine gun that may have been previously "titled" will still retain its original value.

The difficulty in making this call helps to explain (at least in part) why most gun shops will ask you to refrain some cycling the action or dryfiring unless you appear to be on the verge of a purchase.

Chuck

·
Registered
67 Posts
As a dealer for 16 years, my policy was clear--the only guns with a new gun tag were guns that came direct from distributor or manufacturer.

Guns I got from other dealers, customers that said they were new in the box, etc, all had used tags on them.

Mine was a small town shop in a small town mall. I sold 5 to 6 hundred guns a year. This policy served me well. GLV

·
Registered
209 Posts
On 2001-06-13 21:24, Shane Kropf wrote:
I heard that the manufacturers put a little seal about halfway down the barrel, like the kind you'd find on under the cap of a new bottle of Tylenol. :wink:
Gawddd... I hope not... I know too many idiots that take their new toy, and simply load and fire it... Barrel obstruction is a brand new gun... KB! :wink:

Me, I take it home, caress, and clean, and properly lube my prize before it ever sees a loaded mag, it is dry fired, and function checked for many many cycles... Sick, but true, it's a ritual :grin:

One shop I go to, all the NEW guns are 'zip tied' so that the hammers don't get cycled... If you're really serious about THAT one, they may open her up... There's enough used, and demo guns around to show what they might want to see...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jaydee on 2001-06-13 23:18 ]</font>

·
Registered
67 Posts
All quality manufacturers test fire there guns. THEY DO NOT CLEAN THEM! S&W Used to fire every other hole in revolvers. Ruger fired all holes in revolvers.

If the gun is perfectly cleaned, it could well be used. GLV

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.