Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since not only real tactical movement (like side stepping) but also "running away" is quite often cited as the best solution in various tactical scenarios, I wonder what kind of boots do you prefer?
Steel toe boots might be fine for kicking, but for running or fast stepping? Since I can wear casual clothes (but want to avoid the military style boots, which is often worn by skinheads here), I am somewhat drawn to hiking shoes like Lowa for additional ankle support.
Thanks for any input

Cato

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Try Adidas GSG-9 boots, once you have,
you'll never go back. For sheer durability,
I'd have to say Danners.

·
Registered
934 Posts
The GSG9s were more like athletic shoes than boots. That means you can run fast and make sharp lateral movements much easier with these than with boots. However, if you are going to be in rough terrain, boots (like the Danners) will provide better stability and ankle protection. I like the Acadia model for this purpose.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I like Danners when working in cold weather environments. Haven't tried the Addidas GSG9 ones yet, although my buddies love them (Uncle Sam paid for their boots though).

In the field my preferred boots are a pair of Vietnam era jungle boots with a Vibram lug sole replacemnt.

In civilian clothing I like either Doc Maartens or Timberlands.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
GSG9s with a 5/tennie resole.

Sport shoe movement with "some" coverage and protection. Resole solves many of the other problems with GSG9 traction or, lack of, in the wrong environment.

G

·
Dane,
You obviously have run with 40lbs of gear onto a buffer waxed/polished tile floor after coming in from the rain with the GSG9s on and landed on the floor next to me......

·
Registered
137 Posts
GSG9's are nice but way overpriced; and I have a couple of pairs. If the price of teh 2nd pair was not free, I would't get another pair. They are only moderately water-resistant, the soles give poor traction wet surfaces like grass/hardwood floors; the soles don't wear well.

Best bang for the buck is the Original SWAT Boot. It too is built on an athletic shoe last, has good support, traction is good-in most all conditions, available in a Sympatex lined model for H2O proofness, and the cost less than $60 a pair.

Best boot bar none; Danner Acadia insulated or uninsulated followed by the TrooperII. THey wear well, are waterproof, most of the line is resoleable, and do what they are supposed too. And they are American made.

Steer clear of such value leaders as Rocky; they just plain ass suck. THe Hi-Tecs are pretty good, expescially their hiking boots and advetnure racing boots. Bates new Tactical line is pretty good but a not real "cushy" they are a little stiff. Altama's Tactical boot is the cat's ass too, around $100 does what the GSG9 does only cheaper and is American made.

couple of websites

http://www.altamaboots.com
http://www.originalswat.com

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.