Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all:

I've used my SV 10mm for two seasons of IPSC Limited. I love it and the gun runs great, and I like the look of its blued steel.

However, the humid Michigan summers coupled with my penchant for sweat are pretty hard on it, especially the grip safety.

Is hard chroming a good option? I don't really like the mirror look of nickel, but am up for it if it will go the distance.

In short I want a finish that will help protect my investment. What do you all think would be best?

Thanks a lot!

Brent

·
Registered
581 Posts
Without a doubt, hard chrome will be your best bet.

Nickel can be slippery and I don’t care for the way it looks. Too orange, almost like a pimp gun if you ask me.

A good chroming looks a lot like stainless.

Great for cleaning also. Take apart, spray with brake cleaner, reassemble and re-oil. Assuming you clean it that is.

Tom
AF Shooting Team

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Tom, I appreciate your input.

I clean it more often that it probably needs- amature habit I'm sure.

Brent

·
Registered
61 Posts
Another vote for hard chrome. I like the matte rounds/brushed flats look myself.

Had my STI done two years and about 4000 rounds ago. Too many draws to count and it still looks like it was just done. The stuff just doesn't wear.

I just sent my carry gun for a hard chrome job and it's an all stainless gun!

Mikey

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mikey:

Your gun looks great. When I send mine off (I'm thinking of using Metaloy) do they take the sights off, or do I need to have a gunsmith do that first?

Are the interior parts done on your also?

Thanks-

Brent

·
Registered
581 Posts
Mikey, do you have a problem with the slide dragging on the inside of your right thumb with that relived STI safety? I had to swap mine back to Browns to keep from bleeding all over the place.

Tom
AF Shooting Team

·
Registered
56 Posts
Tom,

My open gun has thumb relief cuts in an Ed Brown beavertail and my Edge has them in the factory beavertail and I never had any problems getting cut with the slide on either of them.

On a related note, I did emperically determine that I was thumbing the slide on my Para limited gun when I put skateboard tape on the flat portion of the slide behind the rear serrations. Half way through the first stage the side of my thumb started burning. It was a mess until I finished.

Nothing like physical feedback to change a behavior.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi Brent ...... just think of my Delta ....that should set you straight on finishes. Stare at the picture of mine on your web page, wipe the druel off you lip and Get that 10 off to Metaloy for a satin H.C. job. Take care. (I am about to be a new Dad again any day !) Harold H.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Brent,

Most of the internals are polished stainless steel so I didn't have them plated. AP&W removed the sights, chromed the gun and replaced the sights. It came home shooting to the same place as when it left.

Tom,

I haven't had that problem. My hands aren't real "meaty" but I do try to take as high a grip as I can. I ride the thumb safety with my right thumb and, so far, no cuts.

Mikey

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.