Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see alot of posts on other finishes (mostly hardchrome) on this and other forums. Say I actually just wanted a nice, black as possible, blueing done. Who would be a good choice for that?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I posted this back before all the stuff about Boron Carbide came out. I was all ready to send a gun off to have that finish applied. I think it'll be just the thing we're looking for, but I want to wait until they perfect the process before I send mine in.

G

·
The key to a good bluing job has always been metal preparation, and the way the material is handled during the process. If you pay for a quick & easy bead blast and blue, that's generally what you'll get. Silver edges appear pretty quickly. Most folks blame the chemicals or the process. There are actually very few "products" in the blueing salts category, and most of us use one of two - Brownell's Oxynate 7 or Du'Lite. I've tried both, without apreciable differences. I also perform varying levels of prep, depending on the customer's wishes,(and budget). Proper hand polishing on modern steels, along with dilligent tank maintenance will result in a very good quality blue job. The problem with durability is that everyone's concept of a long lasting finish seems to have changed in the last few years, due to many factors. The comparison to synthetic finishes, and the new generation of plating procedures may have raised our expectations. Mass - produced leather products(read cheaper), Kydex, and the amount we all practice and carry have certainly had an effect. I agree that a nice blue is the most appealing finish (IMHO), but it's no more indestructible than it ever was. You have to expect to refinish periodically, and in today's Next Day Air shipping climate, it's not nearly economical as it once was. Still, there's something special about the look of a well carried pistol...

·
Registered
580 Posts
Have had Novak's do two pistols........When they {Novak's} say it's black it is BLACK!
Price was $75 a couple of years ago.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.