Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who does the best hardchrome job? I had one done by a reputable company down south, but it did not turn out well. Coverage was not complete, it had rust spots inside the slide when I got it back, mainspring housing rusted first time out as did the beaver tail grip safety. Cost is not a problem, I just want the best job possible.
Thanks

·
Registered
210 Posts
I don't have direct experience with them, but most of the reputable smiths recommend Metaloy, bar none. Their chroming job is supposed to be the most complete compared to others.
Sorry, I don't have their contact info, but someone on this board should be able to provide it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ken Sham on 2001-10-02 15:34 ]</font>

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
I would take the hard earned advice of the guys who do this for a living not forum moderators.

When a professional smith tells you "x,y or z" is the best it might well be worth paying attention. Our reputation, as well as our livlihood depends on it.

Question was hard chrome....the answer is Metaloy. You can easily get it done faster and I suspect even cheaper, but you won't get it done better. I have a little experience, dozens of guns by a half dozen or more platers in 20 years.

Doesn't mean that any plate shop can't do a good job but most can't or won't do it day in and day out. Metaloy does so for a large number of professionals and the home gunsmith.

Doesn't mean I have used every plater out there but I do talk to a couple of other smiths and see other's plating work in my shop and haven't heard of or seen any one's work yet that stands out besides Metaloy.

I am always looking for someone consistant and very good at what they do.

My apologies if this came across poorly.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dane Burns on 2001-12-13 01:06 ]</font>

G

·
Compared to Dane Burns my experience with Hard Chrome is zero. However I had one gun hard chromed by Accurate Plating & Weaponry and it was very nicely done. It's been a while though and can't vouch for recent quality.

Chris

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.