Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Limcat holsters are really fast and can be used with open and limited guns without changing anything or drilling holes in the trigger guard.

I personally like the CR Speed 2001 holsters.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have a Limcat and I love it. I used a Safariland 011 for a few years and it was satisfactory though it required the Arredondo muzzle plateform to stablize the gun enough that it stayed in the holster. I also have a Universal Pro Holster I use for my single stack. It's okay but seems to require a more precise draw than the 011 or the Limcat.

An added bonus and actually the reason I bought the Limcat is that I can switch between my open and limited guns without changing a thing.

Check Shooters Connection http://www.shootersconnection.com and Gaspari Associates http://www.gaspariassociates.com for prices.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Check out the Nolan Innovations Aluminator xv. It's a cool holster and very fast. When locked, the gun can't fall out. All in all a good product, IMO. FWIW, I'd pass on the Nolan mag pouches though. The springs stretch contantly and are really more trouble than they're worth.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I am using a Ghost and I like it a lot. The Limcat, while pricey, is also a good holster.

The ghost requires drilling a whole in the trigger guard, but thats ok. Its a tool, it doesent have to be pretty. It just has to go bang.

Tom
AF Shooting Team

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, being conservative I picked out a Safariland new model 012. It worked fine at the first match, except that learning to loosen the tension knob before the draw the first time made me forget to charge the chamber on the first stage.

Slow learner here.

·
Registered
137 Posts
The question should be rephrased; WHICH LAUNCH PLATFORM IS BEST?

IPSC does not use holsters, items pretending to be holsters as they cover the trigger guard are used. We also are aware that it is not a holster from the need for a walk around strap to keep the pistol from falling out.

Real holsters are made from leather or polymer and keep a firearm where it is supposed to be at all times-on your hip; and is useful for daily CCW, duty and range/match use. LAUNCH PLATFORMS allow for "blinding" draws from an item that's true retentive capability is suspect and will only be seen in use at matches.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, being a one-man Gun Test by myself, I also tried KyDex in the form of a Ky-Tac holster. I shot it at an IPSC match today and loved it. Is as fast as the Safariland 012 for me at the moment. I will need to practice with the competititon holster some more to get used to it.I'm going to get a Blade tech, too, for comparison.

Call 'em what you wish, I goes to hose. Fast is fun and fast gun games are the most fun.

·
Registered
137 Posts
No issues with IPSC. What is used by IPSC competitors is not a holster; they are launch platform.

Holsters do not require additional straps, bands, strings etc to keep the handgun when not in the act of drawing the firearm. Holsters cover and protect the handgun that is placed in it.

No issues, just call them what they are; launch platforms.

·
Registered
91 Posts
This is the holster I use for both open and limited class. I was not satified with the Safariland 011's muzzle retention thingy, so I made the little muzzle platform seen here. I got the idea from seeing Arredondo's platform. Theirs is like $40 though, and this cost me about five bucks to make from stuff I got at the local hardware store. I am going to have the two metal posts welded at some point, but for now I've glopped some epoxy on there to keep it all from possibly moving. I've used it in three matches this way and has worked great. Just an idea that I thought somebody might find useful.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My new Ky-Tac Sooper Hooper "speed" holster is IDPA legal. I will shoot it in IPSC the rest of the season. I am trying a Blade-Tech kydex holster, too for both IDPA and IPSC. This is fun.

Also, USPSA/IPSC Production Class rules require that holsters and mag holders be set behind the centerline of the body same as IDPA requires.

My USPSA/IPSC wannabe(I wanna be like him) shoots the leather concealment rig he carries to work every day and is a USPSA Limited Master. There is no rule that one has to use a "gunhanger" rather than a holster in IPSC.

Generalities are generally wrong.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.