Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been considering upgrading from .223 to .308 based on recent posts which discussed the inadequacies of the .223 for "social purposes." I was wondering what the best pick for such a rifle would be. I like the Armalites/Eagles, and the CETMEs are inexpensive. However, I have a real lust for an M1A Squad Scout.

Any thoughts?

G

·
I'm going with the M1 also, I really like this rifle and my favorite model is the "scout" the shorter barrel is easier to maneuver and faster to pick up the sights.

The 7.62 round feeds very well and delivers very good performance from the M1.

The M1 is one of a few rifles that just feels right when you shoot it.

Now, I should also mention that I have been talking over a "sledgehammer" with Tony and will probably pick up a .440 Corbon model soon.
15rds of this relatively hard hitting cartridge in a lightwieght 16" barreled semi auto really appeals to me in a Tim Allen sort of way......

·
Registered
988 Posts
buzz...

I have owned most of them, it seems, still have a wonderful M1A w/ a Krieger barrel that will definitely put your eye out :grin:

For purely social occasions I have with me a FAL from Arizona Response Systems, with a 16" barrel. Muzzle blast is more than some folks like, it is not as accurate as the M1A, above, but talk about a shooter! It will digest any ammo you feed it, adjust the gas setting and you are good to go. The M1A uses mags that will cost for 1 what you can get 9 or 10 FAL mags for, and DSA is making some great stuff as well. Put a flat top on, with an Aimpoint, and it is a blast.

If I needed accurate [1moa or less] shooting I would carry my M1A, in all other situations it would be the FAL...and with good ammo it is a 1.5 rifle.

·
Registered
194 Posts
The best "social" purpose rifle(S)for a civilian (to include LEA): A 1950's vintage Winchester Model 70 Featherweight in 30/06 or 308 (depending on who's supplying the ammunition) with a Lyman 48 or 57 receiver sight, a 1.75-6X Leupold Vari-X III in older Kimber mounts, and a replacement steel trigger guard and floorplate. With minimum work on the trigger, good bedding, and minor truing of the action. Synthetic stock if massive climate shifts from wet to dry are common.

If I'm travelling around in a vehicle, I'd add to it, one of the delightful little Winchester or Marlin 44 Mag carbines (pre-the-damnable-pushbutton-safety) in 16 inch or 20 inch barrel (I have variations of both with an accuracy edge to the shorter barrel) with a variant of the old Redfield Sourdough foresight and an old Lyman 66 receiver sight, swivels, and a little work on the trigger.

Both are handy little pieces that are extremely reliable, attract minimal attention, serve a variety of purposes well, are extremely accurate within their respective range limitations, and unlike civilian clones of military weapons, seem to work all the time in all conditions....

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have a Poly Tech M14S that I have upgraded with heat treat of the rcvr and mostly GI parts except the barrel and rcvr. It shoots like a dream and it RUNS! No problems in over 3000 rds. Great sights, great trigger.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Why no votes for "the greatest battle implement ever devised", namely the M-1 Garand? They are plentiful, powerful, extremely reliable, and with a little fine-tuning sufficiently accurate. Eight rounds of 30-06, along with a few extra clips, should suffice for most social encounters. If you need a scope, Gunsmith Roland Beaver can mount a scout-style Leopold up front so that it doesn't interfere with clip loading.

Don't get me wrong: I like and own FALs, an M-1A and other .308s with box magazines. But the truth of the matter is that the old M-1 Garand will get the job done.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Slightly off topic; is anyone making Garand's from new parts (ie not old GI parts)? Just curious.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a DSA FAL with a 16 inch bbl and a Springfield armory M1A with the same. 173 grain GI match ball won't fit in the magazine of the FAL but will fit into the mag of My M1A. But this is my only gripe about the FAL. I like the adjustable gas system of the FAL and the price of mags. Just note that you get whot you pay for I have some friends with different assembled FAL'S some work and some don't. Save you money and pay the price for a DSA. If you need a rifle NOW buy a Enfield .308 from India 10 round mag reliable and accurate and only about 100 to 125 bucks at gunshows

·
Registered
170 Posts
I say a Remington 7600 Synthetic with the barrel cut to ~18" and a Trijicon TR21 scope. I am a great fan of fine things (especially firearms), but when it comes to rifles I just go for what will get the job done.

The 7600 pump rifle allows nice training compatability with one of the most versatile weapons available, the pump 12-bore shotgun.

That said, get the M1A Scout, because what you like is what you will do best with, plus, those are really fine looking guns.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: telackey on 2001-09-09 13:56 ]</font>

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.