Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this a worthwhile upgrade on a concealed carry 1911? Is it necessary or just nice to have? I notice that with a double stack, like a Glock, they come pre-beveled since the mag itself is a reverse funnel.
Thanks for your comments, Bill

·
Registered
201 Posts
Bill,

I'm no expert, but I'll offer my opinion. I think it's a matter of personal preference. I have a handfull of unmodified Colt 1911's. These have a slightly beveled mag well from the factory. The key word here is "slightly". I personally do not have a problem performing reloads with any of these pistols.

On the other hand, when I do have custom work done on a single stack pistol, I ALWAYS have the magazine well bevelled. While I don't have a problem with the stock bevel, it does make a big difference in the size of the mag well opening when you get a good bevel done. Certainly can't argue that it doesn't make reloads easier.

Another thing to note is that, IMO, a mag well bevel is one of those subtle touches that adds to the pride of ownership that comes with owning a custom pistol. To me a custom job would seem incomplete without it.

Add-on magwells are a different story. I personally don't care for them.

Hope this helps,

Tim

·
Registered
493 Posts
BillD wrote;
Is this a worthwhile upgrade on a concealed carry 1911? Is it necessary or just nice to have? I notice that with a double stack, like a Glock, they come pre-beveled since the mag itself is a reverse funnel.
Thanks for your comments, Bill
Several factory 1911s come with a bevelled mag well. I particularly like the Kimber.

Whether it is necessary or not, I have to say I don't think so. Nice to have, sure and worth paying a gunsmith an extra $50 for doing if you are already having several hundred $$$ worth of cusom worke done.. you bet. But would I send a gun off just to do a mag qell... nope.

Just carry two guns, reloads then become moot :smile:

Press on,
Jim Higginbotham

G

·
I would have to say that the guys did a nice job and Jim explained it very clearly.

One point I would add is that it his highly desirable to have the mag well tapered if you add an aftermarket mag funnel like the S&W, Wilson, or Brown add ons.

I have actually purchased used guns with a huge stadium funnel on them that is partially obstructed with an unbeveled stock mag well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.