Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a Wolff 18.5lb spring in my
HP. When I dropped the slide on a snap cap from the magazine the hammer followed every time. I put the 17lb standard spring back in
and the hammer did not follow. Obviously someone worked on the sear/hammer engagement.
I bought the gun used so I am surmising this.
My question is, on HP trigger work is it the sear, hammer or both that are worked on? I'm trying to avoid buying both if possible. I am
going to have my smith take a look at it. Just curious.
Regards,
Dale Clark

·
Registered
183 Posts
Check to see if the hammer has .024 or more, is so it's most likely you sear or sear angle. I messed up mine but the hammer was ok at just over .024 and it took three times on the sear to get it right. I don't feel to bad, it was a good learning experience. The HP is easy but Touchy! What ever you do, don't have a friend send you a hammer by mail! Hahahaha, (inside joke). GTO

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Stephen and GTO,

Thanks for your input. I thought that it might be an easy fix. I'm going to try and get it to my gunsmith today. He does have quite a bit of experience with HP triggers.
I'll let you know what happens.
Regards,
Dale Clark

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was able to get by the gunsmith today and he took a look at my HP while I waited. Here's what he did: polished hammer/sear engagement areas, smoothed the hammer strut,
polished the contact points on the sear bar,
put some bend back in the sear spring(it was straight), put a C&S 22lb mainspring and a
C&S trigger return spring in it. Test fired 20 or 30 times. Hammer following problem
solved! By the way, the test firing was done with the Wolff 18.5lb spring in place and a
Buffer Technologies recoil buffer.

Regards,
Dale Clark

·
Registered
183 Posts
Hey thats great, I'll bet the sear spring had alot to do with it like Stephen said. I bent mine a little but it sounds like someone really went to town on yours. The smith polished the right places but the 22lbs main spring has me baffled, are you sure it's not 25lbs? I would test ammo with hard primers too see what happend's.
Well? How's the trigger feel? Thanks, GTO

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The smith that did the work is named Larry Wright. He works at Gilbert's Small Arms Range in Lorton, VA.He is a great gunsmith and a great guy. I explained to him that I would leave it, but he said he was in a Hi-Power mood so he did it right away, while I waited. This was a quick fix. I intend to leave it with him to get the pull to 5-6lbs.Right now it's at 8lbs. but very crisp. I'll double check the weight of the mainspring, too.
Regards,
Dale Clark

·
Registered
133 Posts
Sear springs are basically off limits on HPs in my experience. I've never had to mess with one to get a good trigger pull & I've certainly had a hammer follow when I did fool with it. Stick to the hammer/sear engagement finish/angle/depth & polish/debur the trigger/sear lever.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.