Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, thought you might like to see some photos of my ACP SV 10mm. Its back from Burns where he did a first rate job with Brian's makers mark, then it was off to Brazos Custom for a new front sight (I liked Brian's a great deal but it was damaged on my bench). A few more IPSC matches then it will be reblued.

Anyway, I've got it up on my website now and thought some of you might enjoy seeing it.

Thanks!

http://www.ehhs.cmich.edu/~bchamber/ACP10mmSV.html

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thanks Jim!

I once got to look at a Commander sized SV 10mm with Novak sights and it would have been a nice gun for defense.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi Brent/Forum ..... Luckily I have both seen and touched this gun (though not since Dane's work) ... it is beautiful ! Brian's guns look, feel and sound perfect. I have a question about Brian's "makers mark" ... does Dane do that to any of Brians work ? If so, is the pistol sent to Dane assured to be a authentic Bilby ? I would like the mark on my Compact 10mm ..... Everyone please hit Brents web page ... it is very well done.Great pics. Will I see you Sunday Brent ? Thanks.

Harold H.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Jim,

I see you got your 'visual aids' working :grin:

ANY Bilby gun would be nice to own, but a 10mm would be the cats a** :grin:

·
Registered
274 Posts
Nice looking gun Brent. Harold, I got to hold that compact 10 of yours one day while I was visiting Brian. That thing is sweet.

I am a little curious about the mark as well. I have two Bilby Kimbers. Two things that Brian did, one his excellent stippling, and the second was how he reshaped a Ed Brown wedge MS housing to contour it to the frame and stipple it. How would you know if the gun being sent to have the mark put on it was actually done by Brian?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have .40 and 10mm barrels for my SVI and found that in 10mm, the oal must be 1.250" or less for the cartridges to move freely up and down in the mag tube. This means most factory ammo won't work. Anything over 1.250" and the gun just won't run - lots of FTF's. I've experimented with 10mm down to 1.220", but usually load to 1.245" and have no problems at that oal.

YMMV

SF

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks John ... the little10 IS my prized possession. I lent it back to Brian last year for the Hackathorn class ... when I got it back Brian had re-blued it, re-cut the serrations on the back of the slide to his perfection and modified the ejection port to facilatate live round ejection. All at No Charge to me ..... a great smith' and great friend. Also on Brent's web page is a picture of my other Bilby 10 - a full blown Delta .... that gun is truly beautiful. I am done gloating now. I'd put a smiley face in here if I knew how.

HH

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
On 2001-09-03 23:43, Hman wrote:
I have a question about Brian's "makers mark" ... does Dane do that to any of Brians work ?
No, I will NOT mark any more of Brian's guns. The makers' mark was something Brian had wanted to do and we had talked about it at length. He was going to use my machine to do so. I thought it was something Brian would like to see finished. So I followed through on the project on my own. There are five Bilby guns marked with his logo. Two of Brett's (which I committed to without thinking), a Bilby Kimber, I finished, owed by a list member, and two other guns that Brian started that are in my shop to be finished for his customers.

I own a Bilby gun and it is not marked nor will it be.

If it has a "ACP" logo on it, you can be assured the gun is a authentic Bilby gun. IMO the mark honors Brian, nothing more. None of us need a mark to do that.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dane Burns on 2001-09-04 17:22 ]</font>

·
Registered
274 Posts
Dane, thanks for the clarification.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for visiting my site guys. Harold, you are too kind. The fact is that both of Harold's Bilby 10mm's are as good as they get. His Delta is about the best looking single stack I've ever seen.

I am able to load to full 10mm length with no trouble, and the gun eats factory ammo up. Brian suggested that I use SV mags and not STI as he felt that the SV were more likely to be long enough. Also, when I called SV are got them they were willing to handpick the longest magazines for me, which may have helped. Either way, I have talked to another shooter with a factory SV 10mm and he too hasn't had trouble- though I know others have. I guess part of it was luck.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Brent - You state that the gun is reliable "despite" the relative length of the 10mm round; relative to what? It should function better than any .40 or 9mmP, BECAUSE of the length. It seems to me that the 1911 design functions best with cartridges of approximately .45 ACP OAL dimensions (1.25"-1.275"); my Delta Elite is as reliable as any gun I own.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Happy news for the Brian Bilby fan club: I recently received my CD of the photos I had stored on (the now defunt) PhotoPoint web site. I was pleasantly surprised to discover, that on it, was the nine photos I had downloaded from Brian's ACP web site. When I find a new image host, I will post a Brian Bilby retrospective with those photos.

BTW, for those that didn't already know it, Dane does occasionaly get talked in to working on double stacks. :wink: Below is a photo of the one he built for me. It is an STI framed 9x23, designed expressly for concealed carry -- which is exactly what I use it for. Dead nuts accurate, unfailingly relaible and holds a bunch of the potent 9x23 round. Works for me. 8)

Burns Custom Pistols 9x23 Talisman

DD

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Hey can you stick to the topic here DD. I am Not retired and last I checked still breathing :p

Finally, unless you have already bought a couple of guns....say 3 or more from me, I don't build no stinking dbl wide guns :eek: any more :roll:

:lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.