Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking about taking the 3 day course here. Has anyone been through their course? If so...how was it ??
How does it compare to Thunder Ranch??
Their website states that you will use 1500 rounds in the 3 day course...is 500 ruonds per day normal for most of these schools.
I've never been to any of them and I want to make sure I soend my money a good one..

·
Registered
297 Posts
I went to Blackwater a few years ago and had a great time but be warned that their primary instructors left to start their own firm. I think Chris Epperson is still there and he's great but I don't have much faith in the other instructors. I will say that Blackwaters facilities are outstanding. As to whether Thunder Ranch is better, I'd personally chose Gunsite over either but I also prefer the one man roadshows from guys like Givens, Crews, Hackathorn,Farmam, ect. over any of the big training camps.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I must respectfully disagree with David. I have been to schools at Blackwater under both the old a new instructors and find the new situation much improved. One of the old instructors did not like the idea of teaching civilians and it came across in his classes.
Although Hackathorn, Farnam, et al, are great instructors, they are limited by whatever the local facilities are and can only do so much to make up for a poor or mediocre range. I have had this conversation with one of them.
The combination of great instructors and an incredible facility make Blackwater an outstanding experience. The three day school was the first one I took there and it was worth every penny. I'm going back this fall for the Tac Pistol II class and I can't wait. Hint- Avoid the local BBQ place in Moyock.

·
Registered
64 Posts
You ask some good questions and both Dave and Oso make some very good, valid, points.
I have been fortunate enough to learn from Clint & Heidi Smith (Thunder Ranch),
Al Clark and Dale McClellan (when they were with Blackwater, they've now formed their own op., named *STS*-Specialty Tactical Services -- I was/am very impressed by Dale McClellan) and
previous Gunsite owner Richard Jee and adjuct instructor Bill Bailey, (also Glock, Sig, Beretta, InSights, tac. schools etc.)

Hate to admit but, to get started, I'd probably hit the first exemplary reputation'ed place closest to my home (which in your case seems to be BW).
Having said that, and having done it, I will tell you that after spending a week at Thunder Ranch, Clint Smith is STILL the instructor I measure everybody else I train under, up against!
(Then again, I've never even had the pleasure of meeting ANY of the "one man, roadshow" guys Dave or Oso refer to -- but doing so is on my horizon, I guarantee you that!)

Clint & Heidi so impressed me that, as soon as I can save it up, my fiance are goin' down to spend a week with them completing either one of their 2 courses applicable to "partners" defensive skills . . .
BTW, saving the tuition $ up is only 1/2 the preparation (she's aware of my plans but has NO idea what's in store for her -- she WILL be already VERY proficient with her gun BEFORE we set foot on TR property! :wink:

In case you haven't seen it, this month's American Rifleman just
had an article in it about advanced skill training, etc. -- and I think they did overlook the very salient points made about the one man travelling guys . . .

BOTTOM LINE #1 (Uh-oh! That's sure to ignite some flames :smile:
If you were my relative, and I was paying, dollar for dollar, I'd probably pay for you to go to Thunder Ranch . . .

#2 We're all VERY fortunate! There's some real stinkers out here hanging shingles as "trainers" but (if you look at some other countries) we're blessed with an abundance of very good, dedicated, and capable training centers!

BTW, Greg Hamilton, et al, of InSights Training Center comes out to Harrisburg, PA several times a year! (Check their website).
I just completed his 3 day Intensive Handgun Skills course and HE ALSO IMPRESSED ME VERY MUCH! Great course, with NEW (to me!) stuff and, yes, we DID fire over 2,000 pills in 3 days!)

Just remember, your're only going to these people/places to learn the drills YOU NEED TO DO ON YOUR OWN, couple of times a month, after you graduate . . . otherwise you've wasted your $ and time! Good Luck! & Have A Blast!

·
Registered
148 Posts
About the only thing I can add is that 400-500 rounds per day is a good figure to use. If they tell you an amount to bring, Do that plus another 50 rounds for a two day and possibly another 100 rounds for a three or four day class. A second gun is also a good idea.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.